SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericlp

Isolated Ground Circuits old Nob and Tube home...

ericlp
15 years ago

I recently purchased a home built in the 40's with old nob and tube. No grounds. Well, I got some computer equipment that requires around 1200 watts or so ... Running servers and main computers. And I'm kinda a home theater buff so... The homes electrical box is updated modern cutler hammer.

Anyway, I ran three new circuits on 12 gauge wire with 20 amp breakers. One run was about 25 feet and the other two were about 15 feet. Just normal romax 12/2 wire. But I was looking for 20 amp gfi's since one of these new runs was for outside.

Anyway, I found the GFI, and I also bought these 20 amp outlets for the computer and HT setup runs they are the only outlet on the circuit I purchased these IG 20 Amp outlets. I already installed them and they work... I don't know much about IG boxes but I just wanted to use them like normal outlets, I'm not running a new insulated ground or doing any crazy stuff with them.

Can I use these outlets for normal 20 amp outlets? I hooked up the bear ground wire to the ground and am just going to use them that way. I doubt they will clean up my ground issues (if I had any to begin with)...

Thanks for your help!

http://www.fruitridgetools.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sfid=136763&i=197367486&c=0

Comments (2)