SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perdue2

attempt at alienation

perdue2
15 years ago

Since this is my first time posting on this forum, let me give you a quick background on our family situation. I am not only a BM but also a SM.

My husband and I have 4 children collectively. I have a 12 year old daughter from a previous marriage, and my husband has a 14 year old son and a 13 year old daughter from his second marriage, all of whom live with us full time. His 21 year old daughter from his first marriage lives with her mother.

My child's father is also remarried, and for the most part we all try to get along when it comes to raising her. In fact we have all recently sat down to discuss issues concerning her preteen "behavior". They have her EOW and one day during the week. Most of this time is spent with her SM as Dad is working out of state. SM treats her good, so I have no problem with the arrangement.

My SC's BM is a whole different story. My husband filed for divorce when his youngest was 2 because BM was not faithful and neglected the children. He would arrive home after working his first job (she couldn't hold a job), only to have to feed children who hadn't eaten and change diapers that hadn't been changed all day (potty training???), before heading off to his second job. House was a mess and BM had been on computer playing games all day. After the divorce, she ended up living out of her car at one point and was not stable enough to care for herself, let alone the kids. The courts here beleive in shared parental responsibliity, but stipulated that the children would live with him as he could provide a more stable environment. She was to pay child support weekly.

Shortly after, BM decided to move back home, 1000 miles away. For the next 5 years or so, the children only spoke to BM by phone maybe 2 or 3 times a year. No calls on birthdays, no cards, no gifts, no visits. Then when BM finds out that Dad is serious about someone(me) and may be getting married, calls from BM become more frequent. She starts sending gifts at Xmas and for birthdays. Then, after over 5 years of absence, she plans a visit. I prepared dinner for her and her BF upon their arrival and offered to have SS's birthday party while she was here. I welcomed her into our home, but she was nothing short of nasty to me while she was here. She would speak to my husband, but would not even acknowledge me when I spoke to her. This was my first experience meeting her, and I was less than impressed. Since then it has been one nasty exchange after another with her.

What bothers me the most about the whole situation is not how BM treats me, but how my SC treat me after they speak with her. It's only gotten worse since their recent trip to her home for a 3 week visit over the summer (which we covered the cost because she did not have the money at the time...she still has not repaid us the $500). Did I mention that she also has not paid a dime of support since the divorce? She claims that she never bad-mouths me to the kids, but I am convinced that she does. Now I have proof. The other day SD had BM on speakerphone and was tell her that my daughter called me a B***H. BM's response was, "Good." The next day BM called SD to tell her she should not have said it, but by that point we had already addressed it with SC, and I was livid.

My husband told BM that she was wrong and asked if she wanted to apologize to me, to which she responded, "No." Of course, she tried to make up some lame excuse about what she meant by it, but since she had already admitted her mistake earlier; it just made her look less credible. She has such poor character and seemingly no morals. She is quite irresponsible with her own life, it is frightning to think of what SC learn from her. During their visit with her, BM's BF was arrested with the kids right there (prior intoxication charge cause revokation of DL) She is in no way involved in their lives except for phone calls and the dreaded recent visits. Since we said there is no way we will continue to financially support her visits with the kids, we may not see her again for a while.

Currently we are all in family counseling. All I can hope is that the kids are wise enough to see what BM is really all about, but I fear that the longing for BM to be involved cause them to be polluted by her poor influence. I miss the relationship I had with my SC before BM stepped back into the picture.

Any advice, comments?

Comments (5)