SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

Livescan

imamommy
15 years ago

This isn't stepfamily related, but I would like other parent's opinions on this.

My stepdaughter's school just announced that they will have livescan available at the Halloween Carnival for anybody that wants to 'VOLUNTEER' at the school. Livescan is digital fingerprinting & they send it to complete a background check. Well, they also announce that the FEE to have livescan done is $61. At back to school night, it was also announced that this needs to be done EACH school year that someone volunteers. [I was just live scanned for my process server registration, but they won't accept that. It has to be specific for 'school volunteer']

Is it just me or does anyone else see a problem with charging parents $61 to help out at the school with their kids? Now, I understand schools have budgets; I understand they have to screen for predators; but, I also believe lots of parents are busy & if they do have time to help out, then they are asked to pay for the privilege? It's just another one of the many things about public schools that irritates me... paying for bus service it #1.

Not everyone can afford private schools, I home schooled my daughter but I can't home school my step daughter & we are not in a position to use a private school. I'm also currently baking cookies for her class, as well as baking cakes for the carnival cake walk... a practice that I just heard could be soon banned. It was on the news recently, that schools are going to ban home baked goods from public schools.

What's going on in your neck of the woods? What is the world coming to?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz