SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
detroitgirl_gw

Difficult ex-wife- a different situation

detroitgirl
15 years ago

I have tried to find a similiar situation to mine in the forum, but to no avail. I am trying to find the healthiest way to deal with this situation.

My boyfriend and I plan on getting married within the next year. He has full custody of his two kids 12(daughter) and 16(son). During his divorce his wife did not even fight for custody. She has been dealing with a drinking problem and I believe she knew he would get custody even if she fought for it. I know she loves her kids deeply, but she is and always has been more concerned with partying when she has the chance.

I have been dating him for a year now. She has made it clear that she does not want to ever be civil with me. She keeps telling herself that I am the cause for her marriage ending. It is completely ridiculous as I was not involved with my boyfriend until after his divorce. I know that it is probably very difficult seeing her ex with someone new. Funny thing is, she has already gone through several boyfriends, yet has a problem with me, since me and her ex are more serious.

His children like me very much. The son has been great throughout all of this and the daughter being younger has had more difficulty, but everyday gets better. I never talk negatively about their mother and always encourage that they try to do things with her.(Even though she is always bailing out for her own party schedule.)

For the first time today, I went to the daughter's hockey game. I thought it would be okay since she had been coming to past games with her boyfriend. The exwife was there with her boyfriend. When she saw me, she was so distraught that she wanted to leave. The daughter was crying and was so upset that her mom wanted to leave. Her dad talked with her and told her that it was something her mom would have to work through on her own. She ended up coming back after her daughter pleaded with her, but she made it very well known to me that she was not happy with my presence. ( Mouthing cuss words to my face)

I feel at such a loss because the daughter knows her mom is uncomfortable when I am around. The daughter ignored me today and I know she did it to "protect" the feelings of her mom. When we are alone or with her dad, the daughter is great with me. I want to be civil with the ex. She has already said that she wants me dead. My boyfriend has tried rationalizing with her that her behavior is only hurting the kids and not us as a couple. It breaks my heart.

I am just keeping my happy face on and swearing I will never let her break me. Is there any hope with her moving on? Is there anything I can do or that my boyfriend can do to alleviate the situation? He has been so supportive to me for having to deal with her. I love him and his children and have no desire to replace her as a mother. I just would love for her to move on and stop blaming me for her problems. I don't need to be friends, just civil for the children's sake. I really feel that it is worth it to continue with this relationship even though the ex wife will be involved in our lives forever.

Any words of advice?

Comments (11)