SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hidez_gw

Antique Oil Finish by Minwax

HiDez
18 years ago

Hi,

Need some help or advice and this seemed like the best forum to ask this question. I can no longer find Antique Oil Finish by Minwax (we are in California and I don't know if it is just no longer available here or if the company has discontinued it.) I had a big stockpile of the product but am now down to my last quart.

To explain why I need to find the product I will give you some background. We have Bruce oil finished oak floors in our living room. I gave up waxing them many years ago and have used the Antique Oil Finish instead whenever the floors began to look dry and dull. I can go a couple of years without redoing the floor. The floor has held up really well and is 20 years old this year. We live in the desert in a rural area and our floors really take a beating I give the Antique Oil Finish full credit!

I am curious if I can perhaps duplicate this product since I can no longer purchase it. The can contents description is as follows: Compositon by weight -

Non-Volatile.....34 % - Linseed Alkyd Resin

Volatile...............66% - Petroleum Thinners (Nonphotochemically reactive)

So is this plain old linseed oil plus some sort of thinner or is linseed alkyd resin something else? What would you think the thinner might be?

If any of you can enlighten me I would really appreciate it.

Roberta

Comments (4)