SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicksmom_gw

SD hurt, I wanna strangle DH!

nicksmom
15 years ago

OK...time for a new thread, and true to form, my dear SD has given me a fabulous opportunity....to complain about my DH! So let me preface this by saying he's a great, really involved dad. But, alas, he's not perfect! And here's the proof!

SD broke her leg Monday after school at practice! Pulled up to varsity VB, practicing with them, came down from a block and *crack*. Oh yeah...it's an ugly mess!

So, even though I'm *only* the stepmom, I was the one who took her to the ER (GASP--is that overstepping?!). Since I'm a nurse and not squeamish, my DH thougt it best I take her and he'd stay home with the baby (well, the big girl now!). So 4 hours, 3 xrays, a prescription for pain meds, crutches and a cast later, we returned home. Did I mention that her leg is an ugly mess? Oh yeah, and this is an important part of my rant here...we got strict instructions by the ER doc NOT to remove the cast (it's a split cast due to massive swelling) before she sees the surgeon Friday. Husband was made aware of this, word for word.

Tuesday, she goes to school (what a trooper!). After school, the varsity coach instructs her to go to the fieldhouse to see the trainer. Dad (who teaches at her school) took her over. I reminded BOTH of them (SD and Dad) NOT to let the trainer take off her cast. But guess what? Yep, you guessed it! Not only did he take it off "so he could evaluate it" and plunge it in an ice bath, he instructed her to point-flex-point-flex...precisely what was to be avoided by casting her! She has a mess of torn ligaments in her ankle to go along with the fracture. I about came unglued when they told me this. So, big blow-up at our house last night!

A couple hours later, SD complains that her toes feel funny. I looked at them....blue & cold...and numb! Just friggin' great! She wants me to take the cast off and remove "all the tape the trainer put on me". WHAT????? I really didn't want to take it off, but since her circulation and sensation were impaired, I didn't feel like I had much of a choice. So, I did and discovered multiple layers of tape and pre-wrap that had changed the flexed position of her ankle in the cast. I was furious. Not so much w/SD (but a little, truth be told), but for my hard-headed husband who let this happen....JUST SAY NO! And the trainer, who, since he doesn't have x-ray vision, had really no idea what is going on in her leg.

Then today after school, the phone rings...DH's cell phone on caller ID. It's SD telling me she's decided to go along with the VB team to an away game to cheer them on. I said, "I don't think that's a good idea with your leg, honey". "Oh, I'll be ok". I figured, well, Dad is standing right there, surely he'll tell her "no, you need to come home, elevate & ice". But guess what? Yep, you guessed again! He let her go! JUST SAY NO!!!! By the time she gets home tonight, she'll have been on it for 14 hours, with no ice, no elevation, no anti-inflammatory since 7am, on crutches.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to follow the "she must learn by natural consequences" method of parenting tonight. Because if she complains that it hurts, is swollen, her armpits and hands hurt from crutches, I'm afraid my head will spin off! So, I will say, "oh, I'm sorry" and get on with my business. Which tonight will consist of tucking little one in and enjoying a tall T & T while watching the debate.

Wish me luck.

Comments (50)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting