SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Hanging Kitchen Cabinets

Vertise
12 years ago

While getting wood screws for door hinges, I asked the guy at the lumber yard if he thought using 3" coarse drywall screws was alright. He said he'd be fine with that because they aren't carrying weight but wouldn't hang cabinets with them (no sheer strength).

bing bing bing

Those ugly black screws I was shocked at seeing in the middle of my glass cabinet at the time of install are drywall screws. They use them for everything. They were 3". Maybe there's another screw that looks just like it but the ones in the hinge I asked and he said yes they were drywall screws. They are great, they use them on those heavy building doors, their sheer strength!!

They are into the studs. Four to a cabinet on the back and the cabinets are fastened together at the sides of the face also. These are standard cabinet sizes. What they call solid wood not the particle stuff. Largest is 36W x 30H.

Is this sound or should I have them replaced with cabinet screws? Is it alright to pull them just for aesthetics or could that weaken the grip by trying to replace them? I showed the KD and think she might have said a lot of guys do that but not sure she knew it was a drywall screw. I believe I saw them being used on the store's displays when I checked out what they had done there. I guess if something were to go wrong, there would be warning with a loose cabinet first rather than it simply falling off the wall?

I guess they must think these are stronger than cabinet screws. There were 4 rounded silver screws used overall. Not sure what type.

Comments (13)