SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

Best way to handle this situation

jeri
16 years ago

Bio-mom took her daughter (my step-daughter) to England last year over Spring Break. No problem. We had planned on taking sd to Hawaii for Spring Break this year  the parents alternate holidays. Recently, sdÂs school announced a field trip to New York for the Regiment Band over Spring Break. OK  we can switch from Hawaii to NY  might be fun for all of us (I have a 9 y.o too).

Problem: Bio-mom insists on going - says it is a school function and she plans to be there. In fact, she has already signed up to be a chaperone. She has been very open with her dislike for me, constantly telling sd why IÂm a bad mother, that I am "destructive", that I will take her father away from her (away from the daughter that is), that I wonÂt last, etc. I really do not want to spend our precious vacation $$ and time with my husbands ex-wife. He doesnÂt either.

IÂm not sure what to do.

a) Not go to NY or Hawaii this spring break. Explain to sd that we want to save our $$ for Hawaii and we will go in Summer or perhaps over Christmas break instead.

b) Talk to a lawyer and see about enforcing the split holidays  and forcing her to stay home.

c) Somehow suck it up and go  even though the ex will be there. Really not sure I can do thisÂ

d) ???

Comments (14)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Or go to Hawaii for Spring Break like originally planned...

• jeri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sweeby!

I did think about letting sd choose between N.Y. with mom or Hawaii with us. IÂm fairly certain she would choose Hawaii. However, sd has a hard time making friends and "fitting-in". This is her first year in high-school and we were so hopeful she would find her place with this band. I am thrilled to report that she is thriving with this group! Sooooo  I think she should go with them and bond even more through what can only be a good experience. I would love to be a part of it  but not if bm is going. She is a very controlling womanÂ

IÂm not sure sd would buy a half-baked excuse (she is very smart), so IÂm toying with telling her the truth: "Your mom really wants to go to N.Y. with you. You also know how your mom feels about me (Jeri). We really donÂt want to spend our vacation money and time with your mom. So, we are going to bow out of the trip to N.Y. and plan a family trip to Hawaii either during Christmas or next summer. If for some reason your mom changes her mind  we would be happy to accompany you to N.Y."

What do you think???

• Related Discussions

Another rose I didn't want

Q

Comments (4)
    I took the advice and waited until the rose bloomed again. More petals this time but still not like the Heaven On Earth I have seen elsewhere. Could this be an accidental sport of Heaven? All but 2 of the canes withered away and I can only guess at what I have. It seems almost like but with too few petals and I wonder if the color is off as well. At least it has more than 5 or 6 petals this time around! What would you do.....keep waiting or ask for another plant now?
    ...See More

How to remove a bathroom mirror

Q

Comments (5)
    Good advice from the others. I tape the front, then I'll use a wood shim near the top to separate the mirror out from the wall a bit. Once I get separation I then slide a piece of piano wire behind the top of the mirror and pull it down. It cuts through the mastic. Prior to getting the wire too far down behind the mirror, I run a couple of long strips of tape from the top of the mirror up onto the wall above the mirror. That prevents the mirror from "tipping out" and falling on me as I get the wire down towards the bottom of the mirror. Good to do if you don't have a partner to help. Warming the mirror mastic with a hair dryer can help, but I usually just pull the wire through with brute force. There are usually several dollops of mastic use to hold the mirror in place. But how do most people remove them? Tape and then they smash them out. Do be careful.
    ...See More

Curtain for a window next to a wall

Q

Comments (51)
    I had this problem in the bedroom but I rarely open these curtains. I did not use a finial to the right of one window that was 2" from the wall, on the other side I had 2 windows that met each other in the corner so I used a corner connector. They look great to me.
    ...See More

lot line question

Q

Comments (5)
    I think you DEFINITELY want this handled before they close. Here's why: imagine you move into a house and when you meet the neighbors they say, "Hey, your sprinkler system extends into our property and we'd like you to have that addressed." I'd be thinking, "WTH? Why didn't you take this up with the previous owner? I probably just overpaid for this house and now I have an expensive fix I have to do that I shouldn't have to?" It wouldn't be good for neighborly friendship, right? And it could feel like a sucker punch to the new owners (even though you didn't mean it that way). So yeah, I'd get all official on their butts (the sellers) and make them get this fixed.
    ...See More
  • sweeby
    16 years ago

Nothing wrong with honesty... I might emphasize that you wouldn't want your SD to feel "caught in the middle" between you and BioMom, and de-emphasize your own dislike of spending time with BioMom.

• jeri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I might emphasize that you wouldn't want your SD to feel "caught in the middle" between you and BioMom

Yes  ThatÂs very good. SD will understand (and appreciate) that. SheÂll want it to be different, and her mother will tell her itÂs all "JeriÂs fault", but I think SD will get it.

ThanksÂ

• kkny
    16 years ago

Jeri, I think your approach is right, and you are being big about it. The crowd teenagers get in with is so important, so I would be supportive of her band experience.

• scarlett_80
    16 years ago

You should definitely let your SD go to NY for the field trip! Thats what high school is all about, spending time with friends. Chances are she will be busy with the planned activities and hanging out with friends to hang out with parents on vacation. Maybe the rest of the family could take a mini vacation, like something exciting and fun close by and than take the whole family to Hawaii in the summer. Or another alternative go to NY avoid bio-mom and have a good time? Best of luck!

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

I agree you are taking the right approach. I don't think I would have her choose between the two trips though, because then she is caught in the middle. Send her to NY, let her know you would LOVE to attend, but BM has already signed up to go and you don't want her to feel caught in any adult issues when it's her special trip to enjoy. You could ask her if she would want you there regardless, but you have to be prepared to go if she says yes.

I would then tell her to take a lot of pictures and write down all she can to share with you when she returns. Then I'd go to Hawaii the next time you could.

This all sounds lovely, but I type this as a SM who would be livid to have their plans stepped on like this.

• lonepiper
    16 years ago

"This all sounds lovely, but I type this as a SM who would be livid to have their plans stepped on like this."

I hear you loud and clear!!!!

• jeri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This all sounds lovely, but I type this as a SM who would be livid to have their plans stepped on like this.

LOL Â fortunately, IÂm able to ebb and bend with the flow fairly easilyÂ

IÂm just thankful dh and I agree on this. I was very worried that he would feel the need to go to N.Y. This all started out with the band being asked to be the opening act at Carnage Hall on a sold out Saturday night in March. Pretty darn cool  wouldnÂt you say???

IÂm not sure why this changed  we were told that if they accepted the invitation they would have to hold additions for the limited seats and not everyone would be able to play. So, they are now going to use the Hall on a Monday afternoon when they are normally closed. Every kid will play and the audience will be the families who came on the trip with their child (not all will of course) and who ever walks in off the street. Had sd been part of the opening act at Carnage Hall, my dh would have felt compelled to be there. Thankfully, he doesnÂt feel the same after the change in plans.

I think if we tell sd that we donÂt want to interfere with bm and this way sd gets to go to both N.Y. and Hawaii - - she will probably be satisfied.

• newgardenelf
    16 years ago

This is a drastic move but might work (be prepared for fall out though) we have the same issues regarding school time and ex jumping on every opportunity. SOOOOO what does the divorce decree say. If it is your vacation time with SD then DH can insist that the ex not attend the NY trip as it is his time and he has the right to uninhibited time with his daughter.

she can unsign up as a chaperone even if that involves DH bringing in the divorce decree to the school- they don't like conflict but they will step in on occasion to prevent problems.

It seems so harsh but we have actually gone to court over this issue twice and ex wife was found guilty of contempt and court ordered not to interfere with DH's time including field trips, vacations, and karate class (she is literally court ordered not to be on the premises during their classes because she can not control herself.)

• jeri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes  talking to the lawyer to see if we can prevent the bm from going on this trip was one of my options. IÂm the sort of person that does not like to fight, but I will if it is necessary.

I love the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

The last line is the hardest for me  "Wisdom to know the difference."

We took bm to court over visitation 2 years ago and won. We plan to go back and ask for 50-50 soon. We decided that we will not fight over this spring trip. Frankly, I think the bm only signed up to annoy us. When she finds out we are not going "so that she and her daughter can have a lovely time together" Â I will not be at all surprised if she doesnÂt back outÂ

• gellchom
    16 years ago

Take the stepmom (and for that matter, the divorce) out of the equation for a moment. A family has a vacation planned for a school break, but a teenaged child wants to participate in a youth program with friends instead.

This happens all the time in any family with teenagers, not just in non-step families.

The stepmom's participation as a chaperone does add a twist, it does make the idea of the whole family going to NYC less attractive, and it sort of makes your decision-making a little "public." But really, those are minor issues.

I'm not so sure that the idea of the whole family going to NYC would be such a great one, again, not having anything to do with SM. You wrote, "sd has a hard time making friends and "fitting-in". This is her first year in high-school and we were so hopeful she would find her place with this band. I am thrilled to report that she is thriving with this group! Sooooo  I think she should go with them and bond even more through what can only be a good experience. I would love to be a part of it ...." But your being a part of it could sort of interfere with the group bonding and finding her place that is so important to any kid at this age, when she is forming her identity. Ask any teen; they feel like a whole different person when their parents are around (remember?).

I sympathize with your situation with your SD's mom. But I really don't see this as a situation of "have[ing your] plans stepped on" -- it's not like she organized the field trip. It would be very different if, for example, the SM had invited your SD on a trip. But that's not what happened here. Her going as a chaperone sort of makes it feel like that, but it really isn't the same thing.

I definitely wouldn't "b) Talk to a lawyer and see about enforcing the split holidays  and forcing her to stay home," so I respectfully disagree with newgardenelf. From the girl's point of view, this is about her going on a field trip rather than a family vacation, not about the relationship between her parents (including you).

I think you are handling this very well. In fact, you need not offer to change the date of the Hawaii trip so she can do both; if it isn't convenient to do that, she may just have to choose. My kids sometimes chose to skip really great family trips in favor of youth activities. If it was easy to arrange the trips around their schedules, we did, but if not, they had to choose, and we were careful not to make them feel pressured or guilty if they chose their friends. This stuff is important to teens.

Good luck, and have fun on your vacation whatever you decide!

• newgardenelf
    16 years ago

God Bless You!

I have two stepsons and my running joke is that I plan to make friends with their future wives and choose the ex's mother-of-the-bride dress! Boy is that dress going to be UGLY! (ROFL)

Good luck!

• jeri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey gellchom! I appreciate your input and I agree with a lot of what you wrote. Things get more complicated with blended families though.

But your being a part of it could sort of interfere with the group bonding and finding her place that is so important to any kid at this age, when she is forming her identity. Ask any teen; they feel like a whole different person when their parents are around (remember?).

I could not agree more! IMO - One of the reasons my stepdaughter is uncomfortable in new situations is because she has never been allowed to spread her wings. Her mother wonÂt even let her ride home from school with a friendÂs parent. If one of them (the parents) does not go to N.Y., this mom will not allow it and never has. My DH signed up to be a camp counselor with the Y just so his daughter could go to camp for a week when she was 12. He is 50 and all the other counselorÂs were in their 20Âs. LOL - What a guy! But, as you can suspect, she spent all her time with her dad and never "fit" in with the girls in her tent. :-\

We wouldnÂt want to force her to make the very hard decision between N.Y. and Hawaii. In a nucleolus family, I think this would be different  but our time with sd is already limited and any vacations we plan is for all of us. :-)

LOL NewGardenElf  that is pretty funny Sounds like you have a good relationship with the boys :-)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths