SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darkeyedgirl

how well did your child adjust?

darkeyedgirl
21 years ago

How well did your child(ren) adjust after you got remarried?

I'm not getting remarried, not yet, anyway. Boyfriend is hinting at it. We are living together, but it is VERY new and I'm really not used to it. DD seems to be adjusting (She is an only child) but she is really confused at press time due to her father just being shock-probated from prison. Kinda unexpected and she is being "brainwashed" now by the bio-dad parents (bio-dad has zero interest in her - he prefers drugs and stealing over his kid), who are telling her that her daddy loves her wants her.

Just when things were going so swimmingly in our household, now she is kind of 'afraid' to like or hang out with my boyfriend. Bio-dad is back for now basically, and it's got her confused - confused as to whom to be loyal to as far as a 'father'.

My boyfriend seems to think all this will pass - she just needs to get used to the idea of having "two daddies" and that she will have to see for herself what a jerk the bio-father is. I hate to see her floudering and I dare not say a bad word about the bio-dad (because she will defend him).

I've heard nightmare stories about daughters rebelling against step-fathers. Her bio-dad is like a large child; all he does is play and sleep. Thankfully she only has to see him twice a month for 2 days. But those twice a month visits have great impact on my 5 year old DD. My boyfriend doesn't just play and sleep; he is more of a father to her than the bio-dad in the sense he tells her right from wrong, disciplines her, and is way interested in 'helping' her in life.

DD seems happy that bio-dad is "back from wherever he was". But I tell you, it's all GRANDMA (his mother) filling her head. This woman flies around at night on a broom cackling, no joke! DD is thrilled with my boyfriend. He actually LIKES her and wants to be there but now she is shying away and sort of acting like she doesn't like him. Grandma and the bio-dad know we are living together and I'm pretty sure bad things have been said about this.

Any ideas? I mean, we are allowed to have our own life, correct? Or is a "step family" a can of worms?

- darkeyedgirl

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville