SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ylmzm

Cost of service upgrade

ylmzm
10 years ago

We are in the process of upgrading to a 400 Amp electric service. We currently have a service drop, and the new service will be an underground lateral. The ZIP code is 94022 (northern California). The distance from transformer pole to the meter is 150' -- a straight line)

I got a quote from an electrician and he wants $8K for this job. This looks like an insane quote for what he will do: All trenching and backfilling will be done by us. I will get the permit. The cables will be provided by PG&E (utility company) and PG&E will also pull the cable. Electrician will provide the conduits (3" conduit for electric service lines + 2 additional conduits for cable and phone lines), boxes, fitting etc. And a 400 Amp main panel (Square D Model #: SU3040D400CN). He will also remove the old panel and make connections to the new one etc.

Is $8K a reasonable price for what he will do? According to what I can find online, the 400 Amp panel is ~ $700 (at Lowes). The conduits & fittings, at most, may cost $1000. Add another $300 for items I may have missed. ~$2K material cost and $8K quote does not look reasonable to me. Am I missing something?

Comments (9)