SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swickbb

To Paint paneling or not to paint

swickbb
13 years ago

I'm hoping you all can help with my decorating/remodeling of my new/50-year old living room. This is probably more of a poll than anything, but let 'er rip -- to paint or not to paint the old solid (cedar I think) wood panels. And, if anyone has any suggestions on paint color please add it. I have looked at these walls for so long I can't see anything but them and cannot visualize anything other than a gold tone. These panels also extend into the another living room area to the side with another 25 ft of panels.

I will probably be painting them myself. The panels are actually a tongue and groove solid panel. Thanks for any suggestions!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (57)

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, that is a gorgeous, unique space! I would not paint that paneling. It would totally change the look of the room.

I agree with the PP, maybe work on the mezzanine level instead.

We painted our kitchen paneling BM White Heron, which is nice, but the paneling had already been painted by PO.

Try contacting RetroRenovation for suggestions on what to do with the space. Seriously, though, some retro or retro-inspired furniture is all you need.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

WOW! is all I can say. Well that and I want to see more photos of your home. Please keep it true to it's origin. MCM rocks!

• Related Discussions

Would you paint this paneled room?

Q

Comments (66)
    Metromom, It really does come down to personal preference. We had lived in this house for over 20 years before I could get my husband to break down and agree to let me paint the paneling in the family room. My daughter and I painted it BM Blanched Almond a few years ago, but we left the woodwork natural (dark) until recently. I hired a painter to paint the picture window and the 3 12-over-12 double hung windows in BM White Dove. I can't tell you the difference it has made and how much we are enjoying the new look. Here's the old look: http://picasaweb.google.com/AnnieB925/LeanCleanAndMean/photo#5145092556174618114 And here's the new look: http://picasaweb.google.com/AnnieB925/LeanCleanAndMean/photo#5194353872555237922
    ...See More

Ceiling Beams, Stone, Shake and Paneling -- Ohh My!

Q

Comments (68)
    UPDATE: I am only posting to let you guys know that I haven't died as a result of sanding/painting/caulking or moving furniture (back-n-forth and forth-n-back). My arms/wrists/neck and back are shot and I did have to go into Time-Out for awhile but I am back working again. I won't have a total reveal picture anytime soon but a partial one is forthcoming for half the room. Cedar Shake Wall -- Looks amazing and dipped in paint. I caulked every seam and coated in a Satin Finish. Patio Door -- 12 Foot Sunrise Unit installed with white sashings and white hardware. Beautiful. Painted Beams -- GREAT decision. Have one section done and I don't regret it at all. Paneling -- 1/2 the Room done and it looks dreamy. Ceiling -- I found a way to 'fix' the unsightly seams by mixing spackling and paint and blending the transitions. Not perfect but a significant improvement (slow, however). Lighting -- Ceiling Fans installed in my two remodeled rooms (Dining Room and Living Room) and Wow, wow, wow. What a difference in lighting and circulation. Thanks again Decorators, Re-modelers and Painters. Your advice is transforming my home!
    ...See More

Maroon Wall re-paint

Q

Comments (3)
    My ex's sister painted her room black. His mom put on two coats of white primer and then proceeded to paint the room canary yellow. She had no issue with getting that bright yellow color she wanted.
    ...See More

To paint or not to paint this awful paneling?!

Q

Comments (18)
    I agree paint the pannelling but I never like the looks of painted stone so maybe wait to do thatuntil the walls are done Painting the pannelling is hard work you need to clean it with TSP then prime 2 coats of a really good primer and then 2 coats of whatever paint you choose .Since this is alot of work IMO redo the ceiling too and then be done . You need lighting for sure start by getting a much nicer looking fan with LED 4000K bulbs then when you furnish the space make sure you use both floor lamps and table lamps same LED bulbs in 4000K. Have you been thinking of replacing the carpet that IMO would be ahuge improvement in cleanliness for sure. Start with this space get iit right then move on to the rest of the spaces I always think once you have a plan it goes much smoother for the rest.
    ...See More
  • andee_gw
    13 years ago

I agree - more pictures please! And don't paint the paneling. Is that an outline of a picture next to the artwork? If you want to brighten up the wood, you could use something like Cabinet Magic.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

No, don't paint. That's some groovy flooring!

• leahcate
    13 years ago

Wow, is right! I would not paint it either! However.....I usually never add a comment or suggestion that was not asked for, but I just want to ask the MCM aficionados on here: would that stairway look fantastic in black? Wouldn't it be wonderful in a shade similar to a dark shade on the floor?

• rucnmom
    13 years ago

Normally, I'd say paint but yours, no way. It is just right for your home. I was expecting Bill Bixby to come down the stairs in a turtleneck!

• caminnc
    13 years ago

LOL rucnmom! I agree with the others that it would be a shame to paint it.

• mclarke
    13 years ago

"There is a lot of wood in this house and all of it is mostly that same orange/gold patina. Half of me wants to just paint it and the other half wants to leave it as is."

I think what you want is some color balance. The room is beautiful, but it is heavily saturated with warm colors -- orange, gold, rust, red.

Add a splash of sage green to cool it down a bit -- a throw rug, an afghan, a piece of art -- and I think you'll be happier.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Wow! Keep it. As has already been mentioned, it fits perfectly with that stone fireplace and the MCM vibe. Normally I don't even like wood paneling, but it looks great in your space. I also agree with mclarke on the color balance issue. I'd consider throwing down a large cream or white area rug.

• User
    13 years ago

Ok it looks like I'm the first but my thoughts were paint. However, I like the idea better of adding a rug or something in the space to break it up a little.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I keep looking at your room, and the more I do, the more I like it. I would add a big, soft rug, though.

On a side note, I have a slate floor exactly like yours in my front entryway. When we moved in 16 years ago it had been painted black, grout and all, but the PO left a stack of unpainted slate in the basement, in random colors, shapes and sizes. (The stack is still there!) Anyway, the original black paint held up beautifully for 15 years; I repainted it with high gloss black floor enamel last winter. It is beautiful, and I'm glad it's painted - no maintenance whatsoever.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Hello Mrs. Brady, is Marsha home?

When I clicked on your pic, I was fully expecting to say *paint it*, but no way!

Shag rug, furniture, definately. But you just need some artwork to break up the amount of paneling. Maybe an O'Keefe, a Monet, or a Lichtenstein. Scale will be key here. Maybe some funky lighting fixtures, too.

I also like the suggestion of painting the ironwork black. Although, that may be a lot of work.

Like the others said, the rest of the house must be way cool.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I agree. I like the way it looks now. I would love to see the rest of the house, I have never seen anything quite like this.

• User
    13 years ago

swickbb-

Great room, and although I like painted paneling, I would not paint that paneling, the patina is lovely. I also like your VT slate floors, that red is so striking. If it were my house, I would be tempted to paint the fireplace (not the slate hearth, just the vertical stone), from the one pic provided, the stone looks out of place with the paneling and slate floors. To my eye, the highly irregular and charming slate floor and hearth seem to fight a little with the more regimented stone of the FP, maybe painting would soften that and allow another color to be introduced into the room.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I have to say I'm surprised at the no paint response. It seems like everyone just wants to paint over everything these days. It's an overwhelming no so I'm not going to paint it.
    Thank you all for your kind words about the house and your interest. It is an incredible space it's just a little overwhelming how to actually decorate it now that we have it.

To comment and answer some questions:

I like the idea of painting the railings darker.

Shermann, thanks for the telling us about your painted floor. It took us forever to find someone to remove 50 years worth of polyurethane off that section of the ground floor. The other side is still covered in it. I think I might paint that but not the panels.

I don't know much about retro style at all so the MCM furniture is something I will look into more. Nothing was updated in the house for 50 years so it is still in that style. I still have all my old furniture and you can see in the picture I have french country in the dining room! I'm in CT in case anyone knows of places to look around here for MCM.

We left the modern light fixture above the dining room table came with the house so it looks really out of place with my old french country!

The outline you see on the back wall of the living room near the print is actually a pass through to what is now our laundry room. I think it was a bar serving area before. The shelves are still there and a big deep sink. I will post more pics of that and some other rooms. For now here are a few more of the living room area and upper area which is really the first floor where the kitchen and dining room area.

We did redo the kitchen with much help from people on the kitchen forum. I still haven't posted my finished kitchen photos yet (ducking now...).

Any other suggestions and comments are much appreciated!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

You need a big plan for the space right now, not details like to paint or not paint.
    I would look through decorating books and magazines until you understand the direction you want to go.
    It will help you decide what to keep and what to replace along with setting a style, even if that style is eclectic.

The railing, floor and fireplace are the biggies setting the tone.

• jlc712
    13 years ago

What a great house, and what pretty views through the window wall!

If it were my house, I would not paint the paneling. I would paint the fireplace stone wall, maybe a dark gray color, and I would paint the iron parts of the stair rail black.

You could go in several directions with furniture--MCM, modern, transitional. I would love to see kind of a minimal Shaker/clean lines/Zen/Asian feeling, if that makes any sense.

Can't wait to see more of your house!

• mjsee
    13 years ago

PLEASE don't paint that paneling. And I'd leave the handrail alone for the time being as well. That is a gorgeous space. There are some wonderful vintage MCM deco books out there that can be purchased for not TOO much money (ebay is your friend)...or just put Mad Men in your Netflix queue. I've linked on of my favorite book ebayers below. (NOT and advertisement...just a resource for what you might be looking for in books.)My sis bought an early MCM home in Palo Alto and has found the books I got her very helpful.

It is still possible to get high quality MCM furniture at a reasonable price...one has to be persistent. Shop your local thrift shops, ebay, etc. You needn't go full-on retro...but a few pieces would be nice.

Do you mind sharing your general location?

Here is a link that might be useful: pdxmod on ebay

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

I'm in CT, too -- Southern FFLD County. That's one great piece of real estate!

Someone mentioned painting the stone fireplace. I think that's something to think about.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't paint the fireplace or the railing. I like their authentic MCM tones. I think mjsee is probably right about finding some MCM books and coming up with an overall plan for going forward with the home.

Although I am not MCM expert, I do love modern furniture, including MCM inspired furniture.If it were my home and I had the money to refurnish, I would look into a mixture of modern (clean straight lines) furniture and actual vintage MCM furniture. One of my favorite places for modern furniture is Crate & Barrel. While I've never purchased from them, I see Room & Board has quite a lot of modern and even distinctly MCM furniture.

I would probably style that particular room with a large modern couch facing the fireplace, and then two modern chairs. Here are some ideas.

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the book suggestions and the furniture pics! I love it! I actually have a picture of almost the same white sofa hung up on my vision board! Plus I love the soft gray of the second sofa. MJsee and paintergirl94 - I am about 20 mins north of New Haven, CT. There are actually four more houses in Meriden, CT built by the same architect who built this house in the late 50s. I haven't seen the others except to drive by them. They look just as unimpressive as ours from the outside. All the beauty is on the inside.

The fireplace is granite and quartz and really is too beautiful to paint over. We had it cleaned at the same time we had the slate floor cleaned. The pics don't do it justice.

The link of the kitchen which has been refinished is below.

Here is the photo of the foyer with an open closet to the left and the view is into the kitchen. Notice the louvered panel to the left that you can pull all the way across to block off the kitchen. So cool. We left that up -- it's beautiful closed. Haven't used it for any parties yet but it came in handy keeping the cats out of the kitchen when the contractors put in the oak floor.

So there you have it. All that golden color. That's why I was thinking I should update the paneling but it does work doesn't it? Now that you can see the painted metal of the railings from the top would it look better to paint them black to tie it all together?

{{!gwi}}

• htnspz
    13 years ago

That architecture is strong! I love it! Just dittoing others: I would not paint the paneling but I think I would paint the railing.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Don't paint anything!! That house is a piece of art...it was designed by an architect not a builder or designer....don't try to "update" it...the white of the metal on the stairs is just right...
    don't mess it up!! Respect it, keep it up but don't try to turn it into your idea of what you think it should be.
    I am still smarting about what my mother did to the 1903 house I grew up in...because she didn't like the stained glass panels, didn't like all the oak beams in the living and dining room and hated the quezel shades on the gas lamps.
    Don't mess up a beautiful well designed house.
    Linda C

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hate to say it but I still wish I kept the parquet floor in the kitchen...

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

I am just drooling over your home. I totally agree with LindaC.

Gosh, my furniture would look great in there. You don't have to use hardlined MCM. You can mix some curves to your furnishings. I've showed this picture so many times.
    I now have different art above the fireplace. I need to take some new pics. I see alot of Picasso and George Braque for art in your home.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I'm glad you have decided not to paint the paneling and I would also avoid painting the handrails and fireplace. You have a fabulous MCM look and that floor is awesome. Lot's of great guidance and suggestions here from the GW group.

Accessorizing is important and minimalist is the best way to go. Spend some time researching about your home's style so you can be a part of the movement in saving these gorgeous homes. You would do best to let the house speak for itself in the walls and floors and invest in appropriate furniture. Have fun and keep us posted on your endeavors.

Here is a link that might be useful: great MCM reference

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Please don't paint the railing. Or the paneling. It's awesome just the way it is! I'm deeply jealous...what a lovely piece of property. You should be able to find all KINDS of vintage MCM stuff up where you live...lots of the things I see on ebay originate in that area.

Haunt thrift shops...have fun!

• karinl
    13 years ago

I would make the panelling work as it is - you can never unpaint (trust me, I'm trying on some 1905 wainscoting), and I think the panelling is the design feature that makes the space.

I'm actually a fairly recent convert to any MCM design, but still I think what makes it special is the lines - colours, not so much. Which is one reason I am not so wild about the floor. I think your space is beautifully designed but in terms of both pattern and colour there is a bit too much going on, in my opinion. Someone else mentioned the fireplace/floor conflict, and I also perceive a bit of a war between the railings and the rest. Even the panelling and fireplace fight a little - there's a pink tone in that stone that the panelling doesn't like.

I think your urge to paint the panelling comes from a desire to address all the little colour wars. I wouldn't regard the original colour choices as sacred, I mean, who knows if all these colours sprang from the mind of the architect himself (the owners may have chosen the stone and slate), and even if they are all architect decisions, he's not looking at the space every day, you are.

So I think where I would go with this is to find an overall colour scheme, but rule out painting the panelling. If you want to preserve authenticity you could use carpet or rugs over the slate, which is easily reversible, and maybe you could find a shade in the fireplace stone that would work for the railings. The stark white and the gold panelling don't go together that well. I'm not sure how many options there are besides paint for colouring stone, but I might even consider paint for that.

Actually it's not just line, but also light that MCM design was learning to master, and those two elements of your space should be your focus. I think getting a designer or two in for a consult - pay them on an hourly basis so no one is vested in what you decide - would be a very worthwhile investment (you might even go with online consults, such as the Color me Happy lady). I don't say that often, but this really is a space where all the decisions should be going in the same direction. For example, your ceiling colour could be something that pulls it all together and makes the place radiant, or it could drag it all down, as I sort of feel it now does.

KarinL

• kiko_gw
    13 years ago

Wow!!! That house is absolutely fabulous. A true gem. I would not paint the paneling. If that was my house, I would do a lot of research to get ideas and learn more. I don't think you need to create a literal time capsule, but it is what it is. You can't get a leopard to change his spots!

Here is a pic of a room with black rails; not that I am advocating changing the rail color but just to show you. It seems like the darker railing balances out the space. You could check out Triangle Modernist Homes (where this pic is from), and I'm sure there are a ton of other resources out there. Have you looked at Michael LaFetra's redo of the Ray Kappe designed home? It seems to have similarities to your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triangle Modernist Houses

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice! The paneling to the upper left of the fireplace was the gold paneling of old and that added one more element that threw the space out of whack. Once we painted that gray it calmed down the room immensely. There definitely is a lot going on there with vertical lines, horizontal lines and then the odd lines and colors of the slate floor. I still have not understood why they put that slate floor with the colors of the stone in the fireplace. We decided to keep the slate rather than cover it up for the very reason of preservation. I could just not justify putting a permanent leveler over it in order to mellow out the colors. But a nice big shag rug should do the trick. I'll start shopping for MCM chairs (this is the really fun part) to go with that.

I'll try photoshopping a couple of different colors on the railings and see if it looks any better than the white. I tried a really rough rendition of black on the metal part and it did not do anything.

The next thing is to find another interior designer as suggested. The only one I have seen so far suggested painting the paneling and the brick wall. Yes, there is a large brick wall at the end of the family room off the side of the fireplace room. It has already been polyurethaned a few times over the years it looks like. As far as the paneling painting I just did not feel right about that so I'm happy you all nixed that option!

We are getting new double pane glass for the windows (currently single pane) so actually that's the first step and what set me off in the direction of to paint or not to paint since we were at that stage. I'm guessing since I am not painting the paneling that I should not paint the windowed wall trim as well?

I already started looking today for MCM furniture. Will post anything I find.

Here is a picture of another part of the house - one of the bedrooms. That is also a decorating project in progress. Another paint or not to paint (stain instead) decision for new window trim.

• purrus
    13 years ago

Don't you dare paint that paneling! It looks amazing and that style is very in right now (I think it is classic). I adore your house! I have some paneling in my living room that somehow just looks right with my house (it's MCM as well, but a faux colonial so not as convincing as yours). I have painted all of the other paneling in the house, as it's the fake shiny dark brown stuff, but the stuff in the LR works.

Have you seen MAd Men? It would give you some great ideas. Adore your house. Agree that minimalist decorating is the way to go (furniture, etc).

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kiko the black rails do look good in the picture. Maybe I'll paint a couple for real and see how it looks! Thanks for the link to the Modernist homes too. This is all really great stuff. Pure eye candy! It's giving me a new appreciation for my house and motivation to do it justice. Thanks everyone!

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice! The paneling to the upper left of the fireplace was the gold paneling of old and that added one more element that threw the space out of whack. Once we painted that gray it calmed down the room immensely. There definitely is a lot going on there with vertical lines, horizontal lines and then the odd lines and colors of the slate floor. I still have not understood why they put that slate floor with the colors of the stone in the fireplace. We decided to keep the slate rather than cover it up for the very reason of preservation. I could just not justify putting a permanent leveler over it in order to mellow out the colors. But a nice big shag rug should do the trick. I'll start shopping for MCM chairs (this is the really fun part) to go with that.

I'll try photoshopping a couple of different colors on the railings and see if it looks any better than the white. I tried a really rough rendition of black on the metal part and it did not do anything.

The next thing is to find another interior designer as suggested. The only one I have seen so far suggested painting the paneling and the brick wall. Yes, there is a large brick wall at the end of the family room off the side of the fireplace room. It has already been polyurethaned a few times over the years it looks like. As far as the paneling painting I just did not feel right about that so I'm happy you all nixed that option!

We are getting new double pane glass for the windows (currently single pane) so actually that's the first step and what set me off in the direction of to paint or not to paint since we were at that stage. I'm guessing since I am not painting the paneling that I should not paint the windowed wall trim as well?

I already started looking today for MCM furniture. Will post anything I find.

Here is a picture of another part of the house - one of the bedrooms. That is also a decorating project in progress. Another paint or not to paint (stain instead) decision for new window trim.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

If you're interested in a designer, I know a terrific one in Meriden. I have no idea as to her fees, but we worked together about 2 years ago on the Jr Woman's League Showhouse in Hartford. The room was featured in the CT Home Magazine (cover & inside). Anyway, if you're interested, I can e-mail you her info. I know a couple more in CT, but probably too far to travel (I'm in Stamford).

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paintergirl94 - thank you! I think it might be good to get help with an overall plan.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

After seeing the rest of your spectacular house, I would not paint ANY of the wood. Wow; that's a real gem you have there. DH likes it too.

Do check out Retrorenovation.com, or else Atomic Ranch magazine.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

swick

what an incredible home & setting!!! I'll echo what others have said - DONT paint

That said - it seems that your "decorator" is not up to snuff with MCM homes if their recommendation was to paint - Do yourself a favor - Don't invite that particular decorator back.

MCM homes & contents are on the rise as far as interest and value. I don't think it is as simple to just purchase MCM stuff & incorporate it into your home. You have an incredible piece of real estate, history & art - I would rec not only getting your hands on as many resources to truly understand the vision - but consider approaching the owners of the other homes the architect built to see the inside as well. Also, once you really feel you understand the home, research decorators & at least have one that is an MCM expert do a consultation - I personally have never done this but feel it is worthy in your case.

I know you said the beauty is all inside but please post exterior pics - as you have already witnessed there are some very creative & talented folks here on GW

Best to you

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Love that "Another Room" bedroom/office as well! Wow! I wish I had rooms with that kind of light and architectural detailing. Is that desk built in? Is it original? Personally I would have that woodwork stained to match the rest of the wood in the house and embrace that beautiful wall of windows as the highlight of that room.

I like your railing white because it ties into the light wall and ceiling color and embraces the beautiful light coming into your home.

I'd love to see exterior pictures as well. Thank you for sharing your wonderful home.

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The desk opening is built in. Three bedrooms have the built in with desk opening. And all that old wood is dirty as well as aged. I have a lot of work to do and looks like I'll be doing a lot of wood stripping and restaining to bring it back to it's (I hope) original beauty. Pricklypearcactus -- thanks for the reminder to highlight the windows. That makes more sense now and will help me to define the rooms better.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness. The another room...to drool over! Washing the wood will help. Post more pics (perhaps start a new thread?) When you have time!

• mclarke
    13 years ago

Is there any chance you can post a photo of the OUTSIDE of the house? I'm intrigued by the slanted bedroom window...

• awm03
    13 years ago

swickbb, do you know the name of the architect? Affiliated with Yale's architecture school by any chance?

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I never thought I would say this "But don't paint". This house has an early rat pack vibe. I can see Frank Sinatra playing his piano with his cigarette hanging out of his mouth with a dry martini. I like it, you cool cat!

• User
    13 years ago

I admittedly have not read all of the posts but felt the need to add my .02 cents anyways because I love your space the way it is and feel painting it would ruin the vibe it has going on which is awesome! The paneling isn't just some cheap stuff someone stuck on the walls in the 70's. It was used purposefully and ties in with the rest of the space. The wood offers a nice contemporary and classy look and the floor offers that "hey I'm a bit quirky too" pop of detail I love to see. I vote no...don't paint it. I would pull out the Restor A Finish to rejuvinate the finish to it's old glory though...

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

awm03 -- I think the Architect was affiliated with Yale but am not sure. His last name is Berg or Burg or something like that. I have to do some more research on it. My neighbor is trying to remember his name.

• magnaverde
    13 years ago

Holy kamoly, did I miss the party or what? Swickbb, I think this is a first: I don't ever remember a hands-down unanimous answer to a question like this, but then, I don't ever remember seeing a house like this around here, either. It's a knockout is all I can say.

No, actually there is one thing I want to throw out there: that so-called "designer" you had, the one that recommended painting your beautiful paneling & handsome stone? Well, he or she--stupidity knows no gender--is the kind of clueless bozo that gives our profession a black eye. No wonder people think we're a bunch of airhead poseurs, with mopes like that around, spouting off their non-existent expertise. The mind boggles at the level of ineptitude. For people like that, we need the design equivalent of suspending a doctor's or a lawyer's license for incompetence--except it's ten-to-one this clown doesn't have one. Make that a hundred to one. Get rid of the loser--tell 'em we said so--and find a real designer, one who knows what a treasure you have. And believe me, there are designers--and decorators!--who would be absolutely thrilled to get a chance to work on a place like this. Too bad I'm halfway across the country, or I could be there Monday morning! At any rate, please be sure to let us follow along with your progress on this beautiful house. Congratulations to you & your husband. What a beauty!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I am WAY late to this thread, but I have to chime in and say I agree with everyone who said leave the finishes as they are. You have a fabulous MCM home with some very unique features. Cherish them and show them off. And if you do hire a designer/decorator for assistance, please make sure it is someone who understands the aesthetic of the house and your personal desires.

I will recommend an MCM board that I frequent. The folks there are mostly purists, to the point of sourcing VCT tile that as closely as possible mimics the original sbestos tile, but are always willing to offer advice. I'll warn you in advance they're not going to like your kitchen. It is beautifully done, but just not MCM. So just let that roll right past.

My home is MCM as well. It's a fairly simple Better Homes & Gardens plan. But your architect-designed home is something special. The architect may have been Alan Goldberg. He did modernist homes in CT, but I'm not sure the time frame is right. There is also a William Landsberg (studied under Gropius at Harvard), but he is only attributed one residence in CT and that is in New Haven.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lotta Living

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Don't touch a thing! Painting the fireplace stone would be a mistake just as painting the paneling would be, IMHO. I agree the house is a work of art (disclaimer: HUGE MCM fan here). If you decide you don't like it, let me know. I would buy it in a second! :)

To play on the white railing and stair supports, how about a fluffy white rug downstairs with greens as the others suggested picked up in the upholstery?

That is a spectacular home. Lucky you!

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

jakabedy, brilliant display of relevant knowledge! Thanks for the names you mention. Very impressive :). Did you learn all this after you bought that house, or before?

I just saw these pics, even later than magnaverde. (swick, you may not know magnaverde, but you should take his post as the highest of compliments and pay his advice the highest attention.)

Here's a link to "Modernism", a magazine with international scope...

Here is a link that might be useful: as you might imagine, the site is called modernismmagazine

• swickbb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you magnaverde and everyone again! My husband and I knew we had a great find in this house, but we are truly in awe of the people in this forum who have chimed in and said they really liked it. Thank you all! I think most people we know are actually a little confused by the style of the house and so were we beyond knowing it was modern, but we always knew from the first minute we walked in the front door that we loved it.

I got a cheapo short shag rug to put down in next to the fireplace to see how it goes and it already looks better. I can really envision a big shag rug. I've already identified a couple of chairs that could go anywhere in the house so I'm on a roll.

And jakabedy, thanks for your post and link. Yeah - I know the kitchen isn't in the MCM style but I didn't quite know what to do with it when we remodeled it. It didn't look like any traditional MCM kitchens that I had seen or I might have figured out to go with that style. Just had lots of plain straight wood and white formica counters (that I actually liked). I do miss that parquet floor though. It was filthy and old but such a great design. We tried to save it to reuse it in another area in the house but it was glued down so well we couldn't get any pieces to come out whole. It was way beyond just mere redecorating because of the smell of the old wood and the build up of dirt that I just could not remove without having to refinish every thing anyway. When I find the old pics I will post one as well. I saved the pictures in case some day when we have moved on someone wants to put it back the way it was.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville