SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lonepiper

Playing Favorites...l

lonepiper
16 years ago

Okay, I'm brave enough (or stupid enough!!) to admit that I'm the disciplinarian in our family (gasp!!). Granted my stepdaughters do not like it when they are punished or reprimanded (what kids do??!!), however, they have never had an issue with ME being in this position. As I've said before, as far as stepfamilies go, ours generally works. Yeah we have ups and downs but I love the girls, they love me and we work very well together. I have listened to the opinions expressed on this forum and I felt that perhaps my husband should be more involved and eventually take over the discipline of the girls. I thought this would be healthy for everyone and would help increase my husband's involvement. My stepdaughters know that I am their biggest fans and that I make myself available any time they need me, however, they do not depend upon their father the way they do me. So, I spoke with my husband and he said he'd give it a go.

Now to the problem: my husband and his ex-wife played favorites. My oldest stepdaughter is "daddy's little girl" and has personality traits very similar to his. My youngest stepdaughter is "mommy's little girl" and has personality traits very similar to hers. Early in the marriage I was very upset when I realized that my husband tended to favor "daddy's little girl." I also came to realize that the girls very much knew this favoritism existed and they often refer to themselves as "daddy's little girl" and "mommy's little girl." My oldest stepdaughter actually told me that things were fair now because mom used to be a stay-at-home mom before the divorce and favored the youngest all day long, every day. Now that they lived solely with dad, then she finally gained all the favor (not her exact words but same meaning). Given the circumstances, "mommy's little girl" lost her only advocate after the divorce as her mom turned her attention elsewhere (to the extent that the girls have not had an overnight with her for over 11 weeks). When we were first married I spoke with my husband about this issue. It was soon after that the dynamics of our household changed and my involvement evolved to what it is today. Or should I say what it was until last weekend when I spoke to my husband about him stepping up his involvement and taking over the discipline.

Now we've got quite a mess!!! I stayed out of it until last night when I had a bit of a meltdown (a/k/a tantrum) which lead me to feel compelled to spend the night on the couch because I couldn't bear to sleep next to my husband!!! (okay, I tend to be overly dramatic and when mixed with anger it becomes a monster all its own) Here's what happened: "Mommy's little girl" broke one of the household rules and my husband grounded her from the usual amenities kids like tv, phone, computer and extracurricular events with friends. Two days later "daddy's little girl" broke the same rule and my husband did not address the matter. I brought it to his attention and he stated that he did not have a chance to talk to her and find out if she felt like she should be grounded (huh???) and even allowed her to attend additional extracurricular events with her friends. This went on for two days. I couldn't help myself and again attempted to talk to him about the unfairness of the situation and said that my opinion was to either ground "daddy's little girl" with the same punishment or at least un-ground "mommy's little girl" (which I did NOT feel was a good option). Well, my night on the couch is testimony to the success of that conversation!! This morning, rather than punishing "daddy's little girl," he opted to give "early release" to "mommy's little girl" and has decided not to punish "daddy's little girl."

What should I do? Should I do anything?

I'm so upset with him!!! Why can't he not see that these are two very special little girls and one is not "better" than the other??

Help!! Otherwise I'm going to end up sleeping in the garage tonight if I can't get over my anger at him!!

Comments (10)