SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Splice string lights?

oldalgebra
15 years ago

I recently purchased three sets of globe string lights from the N---Style catalogue to hang on my patio. They are really like mini Christmas tree lights with round glass globes that independently pop over each light socket. Two wires come out from the plug, one going into the first light socket and one running the length of the light string until it terminates into the plug at the end of the string. Two wires come out from the first light socket, one going into the next light socket and one appears to run the length of the light string until it terminates in the last light socket (so that three wires run in a twisted fashion from the first light socket to the last).

My question is, can I splice the three strings together instead of plugging them end-to-end?

Can I connect the two wires that presently come out of the last light socket on the first string of lights with the two wires that presently come out of the first plug on the second string?

Or perhaps, can I cut off the last socket on the first string of lights and the first socket on the second string and connect the three wires?

Or will everything blow either way?

Thank you.

Comments (21)