SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

Speech update (in case you recall this from awhile back)

ceph
15 years ago

Just an update:

Remember back when we were trying to figure out how to approach getting A__ into speech therapy?

Way back last spring we talked to BM who said something along the lines of "You can take him if you want, but I can understand him, so I don't think he needs it"

I wanted to shake her and shout "Yeah, great, you can understand him, bu the rest of the world doesn't have a freaking clue what he's saying!" but we just said "Oh, good. We'll take him then"

So over the summer we had a consult with the public health system (because school was out) to find out what to do with his speech. They suggested working on his /th/ and we made awesome progress! We play speech games at home and we practice sometimes in the car.

He still has a little trouble hearing the difference between final /f/ and /th/, but says it correctly.

He still has a little trouble with the buzzy /th/ in words like "father" or "those" and it comes out as /d/ if he is not paying attention.

We are starting on /r/... Which is going to be very hard for him, as he can only make the /r/ sound about 10% of tries, and has never managed it in a word or in combination with a vowel. But with help from the school speech therapist we know how to practice it now and will be working on it this fall and winter.

He (generally) has a very good attitude about speech practice and looks forward to the games we play with it.

We have recently made a Speech Book where we write a journal entry each time he practices to say what he did and how he felt about it.

Of course we want him to make progress in his speech, but the most important part is that he has a good attitude and that he wants to make progress, so that's where we try to focus.

BM and GM still do nothing with him for speech.

But it's going very well anyways!

Thanks for all your help late last winter when we were starting this ball rolling.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations