SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerrym303_gw

Smooth Operating Sliding Door Recommendation

10 years ago

Hi,

I have been reading this and a few other Gardenweb forums for a while, but this is my first post.

We are looking at opening up a wall in our house to take advantage of fairly sweeping views of the front range in the Denver area. We will likely add 3 54w x 90h fixed windows and replace a 72w x 96h sliding patio door with a 72w x 80h + a transom above of about 72w x 25h (to match the top of the 90" windows installed about 18" off the floor). We have 10' ceilings.

I have quotes for Marvin Infinity (installed) and a preliminary quote on Sunrise Vanguard (without installation). I have become convinced that a number of upper mid-range windows would work for us. The sliding door is the issue. This door will be used frequently - mainly to get the grill on the deck.

I know that the Marvin just has a standard track and that there have been comments here that it can feel heavy. I know nothing about the operation of the Vanguard. I have read somewhere that Fleetwood uses rollers - that sounds appealing.

Anyway, I am open on materials and would like to hear your ideas on sliding patio doors that operate the best.

Comments (7)