SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgeist

pre-populating knock-outs in a sub-panel

11 years ago

I'm adding a flush-mount sub-panel on the inside wall of my garage that will (over time) terminate all my indoor branch circuits. I'd like to pre-plumb routes for the branch NM coming into the panel with stubs of PVC conduit that lead to a section of the wall that I don't need to close in with drywall. This will allow adding circuits over time without having to rip open the wall cavity every time.

- Is there any code restricting the use of traditional NM 12/2 or 14/2 (as opposed to individual 12/14g conductors) or is it just not typically done?

- If my branch NM lines will be attached to framing members in the traditional manner (wire stapes, etc.) all the way to the PVC "stubs" do I need to provide a clamping fitting at the panel side of the PVC, at the far end, or both?

- Can I co-locate the conductors for more than one branch in the same conduit stub (provided there's enough room for free play and that the conductors are not electrically connected in any way)?

I know this isn't a true "conduit system" per code, but I appreciate y'all assisting in defining what I DO need to adhere to.

Thanks.

Dan

Comments (4)