SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmjoe_gw

Southwest US replacement windows suggestions

NMJoe
11 years ago

Hello,

I've been doing some reading on this forum, as well as manufacturers' websites, etc., as part of my research into replacement windows for the 20-year-old home my wife and I just purchased.

We live in New Mexico, at 6000', with a lot of sun! We get very little rain (5" YTD and we're entering our dry season), we get a fair amount of wind, summer highs average the mid 90s, winter lows average in the low 20s. The existing windows in our house are metal framed, "Alenco" that are almost impossible to open or close, and are easily the worst windows I've ever owned.

We would like to avoid high-maintenance wood windows, so we are considering vinyl or fiberglass (or other options that you suggest). It seems that our brand options here in New Mexico are quite limited. We have the big names available: Andersen, Pella, Marvin, and Simonton. Beyond that, we have a lot of "locally produced" brands. Of the reading I've done here, the top rated vinyl brands don't seem to be available here, e.g., Sunrise, Okna, etc. What do you suggest? We most certainly are looking for great energy efficiency, well-built, great warranty, long-lasting windows. Price is, of course, a consideration, but we will spend what we need to for quality, longevity and great installation. Our existing windows range between 5' wide and 4' tall, to 8' wide x 5' tall, in single hung configuration or sliders.

I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks for reading my very long post!

Joe

Comments (18)