SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurielou177

cherry countertop finish

laurielou177
12 years ago

I've posted some things earlier on kitchen forum regarding the cherry countertops that our cabinet maker made because I wasn't sure how we'd finish them, but now that we have the countertops, have some more specific questions related to cherry that you might be able to help with.

When he brought the countertops in, we were dissappointed because they weren't the red color that we'd envisioned. We have a red bar stool of indeterminant wood that we showed him and said that's what we were looking for, and he said that was fine. Well, when they arrived they were more white looking w/a pinkish cast, some boards pinker than others, but definitely not red. They are definitely nice looking counters, but nowhere near the color we were imagining.

Then, someone told my husband they'd turn red over time, and my aunt said her cherry cabinets turned red over 3-4 yrs. Is that generally the case? And, if so, will they redden even if a wiping varnish like waterlox is applied? I would imagine a sealer like that would change how the wood reacts w/air and light, so maybe the wood could not redden?

Furthermore, if we instead use a mineral oil w/wax or a 100% tung oil, will that redden the wood? We were already having difficulty deciding whether to waterlox or do a mineral oil or pure tung oil with or without a wax, but the possible color change (or limit of change by sealing w/waterlox) further changes what we might want to do. I do have mineral oil I'll try on a sample scrap he brought in today.

So, we WANT it to redden if it will do that naturally, that's one factor. AND, we'd prefer more natural oil and wax for counters that will not see chopping, but will have lots of food contact, BUT, we are a messy family of 4, so not sure oil & wax will be practical. We don't want it to necessarily look pristine-and-magazine-cover-like-no-one-really-cooks-there, but also don't want it to look completely abused! Any experience w/cherry appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (12)