SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
startle

Welder Wiring 50A future use

Startle
11 years ago

I'd like to add a 50A receptacle in the garage. It's first use is for a welder. The welder is 50A at 240V and currently has a NEMA 5-50 plug (ground and 2 hots - no neutral).

What size wire/temp rating should be used for a NEMA 5-50 receptacle installed in the garage for the welder? I know there are some special welder requirements.

If I want to use the welder up to 50' away, and buy an extension cord of 50', what size wire/temp rating should be used for the welder extension cord?

I may eventually want to use something other than the welder here. I'd like to run wire for the welder installation that would allow these other possible uses in the future by replacing the receptacle as needed to convert over.

Two possibilities are a backup generator and connecting a motorhome. They would both need the neutral connection, so I'd like to run 3 wires plus ground now, even though I only need 2 plus ground for the welder. (The gen would need transfer switch, etc. also). It's likely that the "other" uses will only require 30 amps.

Comments would be appreciated.

Edit/Delete Message

Comments (8)