SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevetala1

joining insert windows

stevetala1
10 years ago

We have a 1951 house with wood double hung windows.
We just ordered the Andersen 400 woodright inserts as replacements. I am doing the job myself and this seems the easiest way. We also have a large window at the front of the house which we also want to replace. It is 112 inches wide by 60 high. This window is a combo picture window with casement windows on either side. Andersen does a joined double hung - picture - double hung insert but the max width ends around 87 inches. We want to stay with inserts to avoid breaking into the exterior stucco. plus the window is 2nd floor with unlevel ground below.
The guy at Home depot suggested I could buy individual insert windows and join them together. Andersen does not sell hardware to support this and the home depot guy suggested I create my own mullions. He did not want to get further into it as he did not want to be responsible, which i understand..
I am unable to find any helpful info online as to how to do this. Would the mullions be installed in the open frame first and then the windows installed individually and if so how are the mullions secured to the top jamb and sill. or are all three windows mulled first then installed and again how are the mullions secured. or does it matter if either way is done. And are there standard widths dimensions for the mullions.

I have installed 12 new construction full frame windows and 2 new gliding doors so while I'm far from an expert I do have some experience installing windows. I feel this falls within my skillset. Just looking for some ideas.

This post was edited by stevetala1 on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 10:01

Comments (4)