SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

Can I replace a table top?

adh673
13 years ago

I have a french countrydining table set with rush seats that I got online about 10 years ago. It was really cheap but quiet solid. Aside from the fact that it seems like the wood varies throughout.

I am doing a remodel and am wondering if can salvage it for the new kitche. I would love a reclaimed wood farm house table however I have young kids that like sharpie markers, so I am thinking its best if I have a table that I dont care about for now.

The top of the table appears to be oak (only part that appears as oak the rest is a very mild if any grain). It was a faux beam effect by someone routering in lines about 1/4 inch and darkening them. Underneath the table it doesnt appear to be oak. So I dont know if this is a veneer or what it is. I was thinking of stripping it and trying to stain it walnut while painting the rest of the table and chairs a distressed creamy white. (my new kitchen is creamy white and walnut stained knotty alder cabinets and wide plank walnut floors). However, its possible the top will simply fall apart with this, as I am not sure its solid. If it DOES, is there such a thing as just replacing the top or am I inventing problems for myself. I will probably have left over walnut planks but I think possibly the floor and table matching might be bizarre. Or maybe I could get my hands on some reclaimed barnwood or heart pine and is it possible for someone to remake the table top at a cheap price? I dont want to spend a ton saving my $600 set!

Advice very much appreciate! TIA!

Comments (7)