SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justnotmartha

Is there any one in my boat?

justnotmartha
16 years ago

My first time here - hoping there is someone who shares my situation.

My husband and I have had custody (after a very nasty battle) of my SD since she was 5 - she is 12 now. She still has generous visitation with her BM, but in most respects considers me her "mom". I coach her cheerleading, led her Girl Scouts, volunteer in school, sit on the PTO board, etc. Her BM has never been very involved or shown any real interest, which is why I stepped up. For all intents and purposes she is one of "my" kids (DH and I have 2 boys together) and I treat her as such, both with discipline and praise. She comes to me before her BM, and remarks consistantly about her mother being selfish, self centered, disinterested, etc.

This is where we come to the reason for my post. I've tried for years to work with her BM to let her know her behaviors were harming her relationship w/ her daughter, but my words fall on deaf ears. I've purchased her books, written letters and emails . . . all to be told that her relationship with her daughter is only harmed by my presence in her life. She is very competative, but yet won't put forth the effort to try to be "#1" in her daughter's eyes . . . she just berates and screams at my SD for loving me. I've tried to tell her my involvement in no way means I am competing for the position of MOM - I'm only trying to be the best parent I can be in whatever capacity that is. If she ever wanted to get involved I would step down . . . but she doesn't.

For years I have listened to the horrible things BM has said about me to my SD, and often to me. Yet I have continued to try to smooth things over. We have all been to counseling, but even that fell on deaf ears . . . to the point that when she didn't like what was said she accused the counselor of being paid by us to side against her. We've tried to have hundreds of conversations on how to make this easy for my SD, how to have the homes keep consistant expectations and behaviors, how to effectively co-parent etc., but as soon as something doesn't go her way she's back to a screaming, name slinging beast in denial that those actions harm her BD.

I'm at the point now where I am just done. I just can't even bring myself to do something as little as frame school pictures for her and her family this year, which I've done for 7 years and never been thanked for . . . not to mention the Christmas, birthday or Mother's Day gifts I've always made sure my SD had wrapped and ready to give to BM, BM side grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc. I'm just ready to give up and admit that I will never be able to co-parent with this woman. I can't even say more than "hi" to her without feeling sick to my stomach. But I feel like I'm letting my SD down if I don't keep trying to make things better for her. She generally comes back from a visitation down and hurt by her BM's actions or words.

So, after a huge post that I apologize for, I guess my question is . . . can you teach an old BM new tricks?!?

Thanks for letting me vent . . .

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor