SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamsteve

Need Advice with 16 yr old Stepdaughter - Help

hamsteve
17 years ago

Greetings All. I would really appreciate your views on a very difficult situation with my 16 yr old stepdaughter.

Briefly; I have been her StepDad since the age of 5 when I married her mother. She is the only child we are raising and she lives with us full time. BioDad moved away when daughter was 6 months old and was absent until our daughter was 14, then BioDad reappeared and now relates to her in a fun kid-buddy way, always taking her side on everrything, just buying her things to get her love.

BioDad and my wife rarely speak to each other since BioDad is always very angry/manipulative and threatening to "take action" against her/us for reasons that make no sense. Our daughter went down to visit her father for 1 week this summer in Florida and came back with all of the reasons that she suddenly now wants to move down an live with him. Funny thing is that BioDad currently lives in an RV (really!) and is promising to buy a deluxe home "if" my wife agrees to the move ahead of time. My wife does not want this move to take place since BioDad has no stability, no wife/girlfriend, and works odd jobs all over the state. Basically there would be no supervision if daughter went down to live there.

Current problem is: This whole move idea has developed just 1 week before daughter started 11th grade at the high school here where she has been attending. Now she complains that the high school here is no good, she hates it, and all of her problems will be solved if she can move to Florida with BioDad. She says she can "talk" easily to BioDad, etc. This move is of course a crazy idea yet again from BioDad who does not even own this deluxe home "yet"? When mom tries to explain the obvious issues, no home currently owned in FL, just promises, no friends in FL, what school would you go to?, etc. daughter just demands to make the move and all will be great for her. I think that she knows that she will be largely unsupervised in FL. Daughter now is not trying very hard in her school here, and we are worried as to just how to handle this situation. This move plan is moving forward between BioDad and daughter with realtor virtual tours being emailed to daughter of beautiful "counry club" homes for sale that he will buy "IF" she agrees to move down. Daughter is keeping this all move planning secret from us as best she can.

I am trying to stay out of it mostly, however being loving and positive as usual and trying to communicate with my stepdaughter. She has been very ambivalent to me over the last few years as we have had to hold some basic limits on her and since BioDad has been back in occasional contact with her.

How can my wife or I help our daughter to see that this is just more "promises" from BioDad and that she has a good school, friends, and a good loving home here with us? She says she does not like living with us now, does not like her school, and just wants to go live in FL with BioDad in this big fancy home (that he does not even own yet).

Please pass along some hints and observations to me to help improve the situation. To a grown adult this move is clearly not an option right now, howevevr daughter is just an emotional mess over this, demanding to make the move and fightng with her mother.

Thanks

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor