SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renbelle

window performance question

renbelle
13 years ago

We installed a couple of new windows this summer and we're planning to replace the rest of the windows in the house. Now that the weather has cooled, I was surprised how cold the window glass gets on the interior. Anyone know if the following temperature measurements seem reasonable for a double pane, argon filled, low-e coated window?

* Exterior temperature approx. 55 degrees

* Temperature of exterior glass approx. 50 degrees

* Temperature of interior glass: 66 - 67 degrees

* Temperature of interior window trim: 69 degrees

* Temperature of interior glass of existing SINGLE PANE window: 61 degrees (note: there is a storm window covering about 3/4 of this window, but the measurement was taken where the storm window is not covering the window glass)

I realize that double pane windows will get pretty cool in the depth of winter (as I understand it, the interior glass in a window like ours will get down to about 55 degrees when the exterior temperature is 0 degrees). I was surprised they got so cool already, and that the interior glass temperature is so similar to a single pane window. Just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the windows before we complete our investment.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County