SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_748144140

European windows superior quality and performance

David Swanson
last year
last modified: last year

After reading many posts on Houzz and elsewhere while trying to learn as much as I can about home building for a new custom build in North Carolina, I am amazed and grateful that so many professionals and other talented people have shared so much of their time and knowledge on this site with those of us who don't know much of anything about building a new home.

My contractor wants to use Jeldwin Siteline windows for our new home but one of the things that I have learned from forums like this one and on youtube from well regarded building professionals is just how much better European windows are than American in both performance and quality. I don't understand why American window companies are so far behind the Europeans. Are we really years or even decades behind Europe in window technology? I am hoping that one or more of the great professionals here can explain why.

One thing I have learned is that European windows are built using uPVC which is a much better material than the ordinary PVC used in the US. I have seen several professional builders comment that European glass and low-energy coatings are much better than the glass made in the US.

From reading window company websites and watching videos describing the differences between European and US windows I have learned that European windows have standard R values of 8 or higher while in the US an R value half that is considered to be high performance. European windows with R values of 8 have 70% light transmission while American windows with R value of 4 have 50% or lower light transmission, why can't we use what they are using? I have read that European windows can block solar heat in summer and pass solar heat in winter and that no American window can claim to do the same using lower performing US window technology.

Apparently Canadian windows are also better than American but still not as good as European windows. Why are they so much better? Why are US companies unable to make a window that comes even close to European performance?

Comments (18)