SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lrb91849

In-Ground Pool Wiring and Bonding

lrb91849
16 years ago

My daughter is having a Vinyl Liner In-Ground Pool installed, and I will be doing the electrical work for her. The electrical installation will consist of one circuit for the pump and one circuit for the convenience outlet; there will be no in pool lights and no pool heater.

Below is a Basic description of the electrical circuits and I have some question regarding "Bonding" of the pool and all Metal around it.

I plan to run 2 separate Romex 12/2 circuits from the Main Panel in the basement to a Junction Box located on the Inside side of the exterior wall. The Romex will be run along the inside of the ceiling joists and fastened with insulated staples; both Romex circuits will terminate in the Junction Box, at this point we are still Inside the House.

Within the Junction Box I will change over to THWN #12 Wire; I will run 5 wires (Black, Red, White (2), and 1 Green Common Ground) within " PVC Conduit. The PVC Conduit will exit the house and run in an 18" deep trench; I will also use Frost Sleeve Expanders at both ends (Exterior House Wall and 4x4 Post), the Town requires them.

These 2 THWN #12 Circuits will terminate in 2 separate PVC Outdoor Boxes attached to a 4x4 Pressure Treated Post that will be installed 10 to 12 Feet from the water line.

Pump Circuit  20 Amp GFI Breaker in the Main Panel, and a Twist Lock Outlet in the Outdoor Box using an In-Use Cover. The pump power cord will be converted to a 3 Foot #12 "SJ" power cord with a Twist Lock Plug.

Convenience Circuit  20 Amp Breaker in main Panel, one 20 Amp Duplex Outlet in the Outdoor Box using an In-Use Cover.

Bonding is where I need some help. I have researched NEC 680 requirements on the internet, but I need someone to bring down the NEC Requirements one level in to every day common English.

I understand that all Metal (Fence, Steel Pool Walls, Mounting Cups for Rails and Ladders, etc) must be attached to the Bonding Grid with one unbroken run of #8 Bare Ground Wire that must be buried in an 18" trench. If I understood what I read, the steel pool walls act as the Bonding Grid.

Here is my Bonding Plan  Please remember this is the area where I need help.

I plan to start at the furthest point; in my opinion this is the Pool Rail Mounting Cups, using a Copper Bonding Lug I will start the #8 run here, from there I will attach a Lug to the front Stair wall then make a right turn and start down the Long Side, I will attach a Lug here and then move up to the Metal fence, I will Loop through a Lug attached to the fence and return to the Long wall where I will attach lugs to the wall and Ladder cups. I will then make another Right Turn and head down the short rear wall and attach another lug. I will then make another Right Turn and head up the other long wall and attach another Lug. At this point I will have attached Lugs to all 4 walls and all of the mounting cups. I will now run the #8 up to the Termination Lug on the Pump.

I thank you all in advance of any Help and Direction you can give, especially in the "Bonding" area.

Thanks,

Lou B

Comments (3)