SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deltabreeze

Comparison of Behr (Home Depot) and Ellen Kennon paint

deltabreeze
14 years ago

I unexpectedly experimented with Behr (Home Depot) and Ellen Kennon paint and thought others might like to read about my experience.

My experiment began when I realized that covering my dark, vivid blue bedroom walls would require either (1) a tinted primer coat or (2) three coats of Ellen Kennon "Lichen" (green-blue-grey) paint. I went to Home Depot to buy a primer butÂon a larkÂasked them to match EKÂs Lichen color using BehrÂs best paint. I decided to use the Behr paint as a primer  and apply it to other parts of the room to compare the paints for color, coverage, smoothness, price, and overall effect. Here is what I found.

Color. The Behr paint color match was close, but inexact. The Behr paint was darker, bluer, and staid (as in more settled, less changing). Compared with the EK paint, the Behr paint appeared to be a mix of white, black, and blue-green paint. Looking at the EK paint on the wall, I could see other colors, including a light yellowish green and blue-grey.

Coverage. The Behr paint didnÂt need a primer; two coats of Behr paint could cover my dark walls. EKÂs paint needed (1) a primer and two coats OR (2) three coats. My sense is that EKÂs mix of color pigmentsÂwhile beautifulÂis not optimal for covering dark, vividly colored walls.

Smoothness. The Behr paint was very good, but the EK paint was smoother. I checked the smoothness by applying the two paints side by side and then rubbing a microfiber cloth over the dry wall. The area painted with Behr paint felt (and sounded rougher). The cloth glided over the area painted with EK paint.

Price. The Home Depot Behr paint was slightly less than $20 per gallon. The EK paint was about $52 per gallon. Notable.

Overall Effect. I am amazed how much more I like the EK paint. The EK paint has a luminous quality; it reminds me of pointillism artwork (where dots of many colors give an impression of an overall color). The EK color appears to change throughout the day, depending on the light. After experimenting for quite a while, I painted my bedroom and hallway with two coats of EK paint. Exhausted, I left the closet painted with Behr paint. Overall, my sense is that Behr paint is good, fast, and inexpensive. I am certain I will use Behr paint again sometime, but I am much more excited about EK colors and paint.

Comments (21)