SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stuckinmn

So tired of looking. Suggestions in MN

stuckInMN
12 years ago

I bought a house last year, a foreclosure. It needs tons of work, including new windows. I have been trying to decide on a window and an installer for sometime without success. Really hoping someone could help me'cause I'm ready to replace the windows with walls.

My existing windows have rotten spots (outside lower corners). I have been looking for vinyl windows as a) I don't mind the look, b) I like not having to worry about interior condensation (due to pets/high humidity in home) ruining the interior of the windows, c) it's a $200,000 house and I don't want to over-improve it and d) I have a million other projects to do on this fixer upper and I'd rather have money to put there than install Cadillac windows. I want horizontal slider/glider windows.

So, I'm looking for energy star rated vinyl horizontal slider windows at a decent price installed by someone reputable in Minnesota.

The best I have found so far is Minnesota Rusco. They sell and install (claim to have no subs) Thermal Industries windows. I had a guy out the other night to give me the estimate for 6 (101 They gave me a price on the Sellebrity 700 series windows of $12,000. Ummm'yeah no. But there was a one time opportunity (gag) to get the windows for $9000. Yeah'still more than I want to pay. Asked if they had any other options or possibilities to make the windows cheaper, i.e. could I install the interior trim on my own'he said there was nothing and the trim is included. He called the "owner" and got the price down to $8000. I decided to accept (3 days to back out of the deal).

Next day, I do a little research. The windows are NOT U-factor .25, they are .30. So, right there'irritating. BBB does show A+ but as I was looking another complaint came in, bringing them up to 9. Checked out AngiesList, B rating due to pushy sales staff. Hmmm'The windows themselves seem pretty top of the line, so no suprises there. Still based on all I found and the final price (still too high for me, really), I emailed back and said no, I'll be cancelling.

The guy emails me back and suddenly they do have another option that will lower the cost by about $500 per window. Seriously? It's the EuroWeld 510 series. Which actually has nearly identical nsrf ratings to the 700 series, difference seems to be in Triple Wall vs. Double Wall Slide rails, the look of the window (the 700 series has this picture frame thing going for it'looks a lot nicer from the inside), and the screen setup (the 700 series has it in a track'very sturdy deal).

I'm now irritated a lot with the guy, but still drawn to the company. It's a good window (the 510 series), the warrenty is still amazing, A+ on BBB is still good, B on Angie's List is fine'but so pissed off at being jerked around that I want to walk away.

The problem? I can't figure out a second option for the life of me. I feel like I should just go with the other guys, but I can't find the other guys. I hate wasteing time.

I would like to find an affordable window and then locate a reputable contractor who installs it. But I end up going in circles. I finally find a window I like, say'.serious windows'only to find that no one installs them here and I think they might be quite expensive'not that I'd know for sure, it's not like anyone puts their prices online.

Any suggestions? Approximately how many years does it take other people to chose a product and installer?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!