SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmommy

SD being abused at home with BM and Step Dad

midwestmommy
15 years ago

Background: My SD is 1 of 4 children that BM has. Only two of the children have the same father and SD is in the middle. SD has and older brother with Daddy 1, and older sister with Daddy 2 and a younger sister with Daddy 2.

DH and BM were married for a little over a year and during that time had SD. Since then they split up, and years later DH and I married and have had a son who is now 18 months.

SD lives 2 states away, so visitation is usually weeks - months at a time.

Present:

SD came to stay with us for the summer. After she was here for a week or so, she started to tell me how her Step Dad is "mean" to her and her older brother. These stories turned into how he has strangled them, picked them up and thrown them on the ground and hit them when they were being "bad". I passed this information along to DH.

Not even a day later, DH talked to BM only to find out that BM had left Step dad because she found out through BM's sister that Step dad was hurting the kids. So DH tells BM what SD has been telling us as well.

The summer played out well, we had a lot of fun together and SD seemed excited to go home, but even though she knew Step Dad wouldn't be there when she got home she was pretty sure he would be back. She never acted like she wouldnt see him again and talked about him like he would be there.

SD has been home for 3 weeks now and we found out this past weekend that Step Dad is back. BM says that Step dad is back on his anti depressant meds (what?!!) and that her hours at work have changed so that Step dad will not be alone with the kids anymore. Also, somehow DCFS found out about this so there is a case worker involve, but she does not say that she contacted them.. I think BM's sister did.

DH feels that he can do nothing about this. We can't force BM to kick Step Dad out again, we know she can not take care of 4 kids on her own. We sent BM as much extra money as we could to try to help, even though SD was with us at the time. DH asked BM for the case workers information so that he can talk to them, but she refuses to give the info. BM is afraid that we are going to try to take SD away from her, but this is not our plan. We just want SD to be safe.

Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus