SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caben15

Norcal windows - Jeld-Wen, Marvin, Eagle?

caben15
11 years ago

We are doing a new construction project in northern California and I am currently researching windows. Primarily the goal is to figure out what brand/line to spec, and how much we should set aside for this in our allowances.

The brands we're mainly comparing now are Jeld-Wen Siteline EX, Jeld-Wen Custom, Marvin Ultimate and Eagle.

I have seen a number of threads on here cautioning against the JW windows, but less detail explaining why other than that "Marvin is a better window". It's also not clear to me if the JW complaints apply to one line or another, as I've read their product offerings come from a series of acquisitions and different lines might perform differently? What has caused the bad reputation? What should I be careful of? How would you compare their two higher end lines (Siteline EX & Custom)?

The consensus seems to be Marvin is the best, and spending a little time in the window showroom indicates that yes they have better fit and finish from up close. I'd be hard pressed to notice from the street though. Can people explain the less superficial advantages?

Where does Eagle fit into this spectrum?

The house has to be the sum of its parts, so I can't afford to max out on everything. I suspect Marvin is a bit beyond the allowance I have been working with thus far. I am trying to figure out if this is an area where it's especially important. Where I am in NorCal we get a lot of sun, but very little wind/rain and no snow. My windows will be painted white(ish) on the inside and I am comfortable sticking to a limited range of clad colors.

Thanks for any details/advice you can provide :-)

Comments (4)