SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sapote_gw

Low E glass for old house's window advices

sapote
16 years ago

I had posted this on the Old House Forum, but I think I should had posted under this Window.

Here we go...

I would like to replace the single pane glasses with low E double pane glasses on my 1930 house. I like to keep the old period correct window frames. These are very big frames wrap around the house corners, with metal grit to frame the small 18"x12" glasses. The 90 degree corner frame has a single post to support the roof, so the window frame is part of the house structure. The are some casement window integrated into the big window frame.

I had been researching, and the only solution is buying the custom design low E glass cells, and set them back into the old frame. The problem is the new glasses are thicker, 0.5" compare to the old single pane of 1/8", and 265 sq feet of new glasses cost me over $3,000 ($11.8/sq-ft compare to Pella complete window at $10/sq-ft). The frame is a little thicker than 0.5", and the glasses are held by putting compound, so I think I should be able to replace each cell at a time. Am I doing the right thing, or the new heavy and thicker glasses will fall out?

Thanks,

Sapote

P.S. I will try to post my window photos, or some other window photos if they are similar to mine.

Comments (14)