SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blessedbe_gw

Rotten window sill nose

blessedbe
13 years ago

I own a bungalow style home built in the 1940s. At some point in the recent past, the previous owner had the windows themselves replaced with great vinyl windows. They're air tight, sound proof, excellent windows. Unfortunately, they did not replace the wooden sills and trim. Now I'm finding that at least some of the sill noses are rotting, and possibly some of the sill underneath. I've decided I don't want to mess with removing the nose and checking for additional damage until I have the funds to get things fixed in case there are unforseen problems. That will probably equal next spring once Uncle Sam ransoms my money back to me. Is there anything I can do between now and then to reduce additional rotting from happening over the winter? Is it worth even messing with? Not all of the noses are rotting, but some of them definitely are. None of the sill itself is rotten that I can see, but there's no telling what's beneath the nose. The siding is aluminum, the windows are vinyl, but the entire window sill and components are wooden. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (3)