SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camlan_gw

Chosing paint colors while hundreds of miles away

camlan
12 years ago

Well, maybe not that far. But still. I'm moving to a new apartment one state over. The landlord is great and is very willing to repaint the rooms to any color I want! (This is a very rare trait in landlords, in my experience.) The apartment is half a 1900 duplex, which is pretty much unchanged except for the kitchen and the bathroom sink. (There's still a clawfoot tub in the bathroom.)

But I need help!

I'm going to have to pick paint colors--I have spent about 30 minutes in the apartment and have only a vague idea which rooms get sun when, and no good idea of the lighting at night, and no idea of the many other factors that I would usually take into consideration when choosing a paint color. And I can't get back into the place until I move in, as there are tenants in there right now. I'm thinking that if the dining room, kitchen and bathroom get painted before I move in, I can wait on the other rooms, which were mostly white, until later.

All the rooms will have white trim--the landlord doesn't want to change the existing color of the trim.

I know I want the dining room repainted--it is a very dark brown and I'm not fond of dark wall colors in general. The dining room has a lot of trim--crown molding, wide baseboards, chair rail and built-in china cabinet with drawers.

What's a pretty good neutral tan sort of color that doesn't have a lot of pink undertones in it? I've looked at a lot of paint chips and I seem to like tans with a lot of pink when I'm looking at chips in a store, but hate them once I get home and tape them up on my current walls.

And does anyone have any suggestions for a pale, pale cotton-candy pink? Blue-based, with no yellow or orange or peachy tones. That would be for the bathroom--it's got beadboard wainscotting that will be white, with the pink on the upper walls. I had this color in a bathroom once before, with white, white trim and accessories and pale grey towels and it looked lovely. But Lowes doesn't carry that same color paint any more.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor