SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

DH gabpmbled in Vegas. I get to chose cab pulls.

breezygirl
12 years ago

DH took a recent, one night business trip to Vegas. He usually doesn't gamble. This time not only did he gamble hundreds of dollars from savings, but he also lost. It all. Sooooo.....now I get to chose pulls for the kitchen myself. :-/

Here's a couple of pics of the kitchen.

Dining room is the left.

Closeup of marble edge.

I really wanted the RH Aubrey. DH doesn't the exposed screws.

Held up to my hutch cab.

Here's what they look like in Redroze's gorgeous kitchen.

So I spent hours again looking at hardware. I hate having to re-make a decision. I found the Amerock Highland Ridge on my old possibilities list and ordered one. I like this pull except that the handle part fattens out in the middle and tapers at the sides. I'm really more of a straight line kind of gal.

Held up to my hutch cab. (I really need to get some of that Stay Putty.)

Highland Ridge on top, and Aubrey on the bottom.

What do you think looks best? Aubrey or Highland Ridge?

And, can I get away with using a different pull on the dining room side of the peninsula to make it less kitchen-y?

Comments (65)

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

I personally think you are way overthinking this. A year from now... a pull, will be a pull, will be a pull.

FWIW though I like the Highland Ridge.

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

aubrey is the one.... trust your gut and tell your hubby this one is your call. :)

• Related Discussions

DH says I don't need a warming drawer....

Q

Comments (61)
    I don't have a warming drawer, but am planning on one in our new home. I want it for proofing bread, making yogurt, keeping foods warm till serving time, warming plates, I'm looking at the DCS because it seems to be the deepest and should be able to hold my crock while proofing bread dough. If the temp goes high enough, I think it could also hold my canning jars while waiting to be filled. So I'm sure I'd be using it several times daily. Currently I use my Excalibur dehydrator for a good deal of defrosting of frozen foods; and I also use it for quickly drying my blender container, my olive oil jar, and plastic tupperwares. But I think the warming drawer might function almost as well and would hold a lot more.
    ...See More

"Exotic" Vegas car rentals?

Q

Comments (18)
    DW convinced me to switch course after we talked about it today!! She'd rather drive to Yellowstone! Oh well...that'll be nice too! So..we'll be in YS in latter July! "A Guy thing....". Damn right!!! We'll do Vegas this late Fall or Winter...we compromised. I've loved cars/machinery since I was born. Now in my 50's, I'm gonna rent whatever-the-H#ll I want. To ME anyway....it's just not right pulling-up to a nice Hotel in a Prius. Sorry. Won't happen! I'm sure there are SOME Women who agree with me?!?!?! ;-) Faron
    ...See More

Can I mix these two cabinet pulls?

Q

Comments (15)
    I understand your dilemma. My husband had the same issue with the knobs that we had in our kitchen. He ripped the pocket off of his new pair of LLBean cargo shorts 10 minutes after putting them on. Thank goodness LLBean takes back everything.We looked at handles like the ones on your doors and the first thing he said was "I'll rip my pockets on them". That being said, I also agree with kateskouros. They are too similar. The cup pull suggestion is a good one. It would give different look to your cabinets immediately. If you feel you'd like them all similar, I'd change out the pulls on the doors to match the drawers.
    ...See More

Need advice on granite I chose

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks so much for your assurance it will look good. I had been to the blog last night and was looking at kitchens until I was bleary eyed!! Lord, how we obsess over stuff!!! This is my first big money decision I have to make and I am so glad. Hallaluah!!! This is kind of off topic, but not. I was watching DIY's show of tips and they were talking about how to get a grease stain out of granite. They left a bottle of cooking oil on the counter that had oil on the bottom and it penetrated the granite. I didn't get the exact name of the product they used, (DH was talking to me about something at the time) but is was a lime based product that they applied to the stain that had the consistency of spackling, let it sit 72 hours and then came back and wiped it up. They said the lime actually pulled the oil out of the granite. Just wanted to mention this for anyone who needed to know.
    ...See More
  • LottieS
    12 years ago

I like the straight line and old fashioned feel of the screws on the Aubrey. It sets them apart from others I've seen. Irregardless you are the one living with them and from your posts it seems you really want the Aubrey. Get what pleases you! That is what's important. Your kitchen looks beautiful. Hope you have many many happy meals there.

• kellied
    12 years ago

Wendy, the way your trim is around the windows and doors is very much a vintage feel so the Aubrey would not be out of place. I sure wish there were one that had the slimness of the Aubrey (but thicker) without thye exposed screws.

Rat b*#tard. He should have just come clean from the get-go.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As requested, here's a pic of what was my first choice over a year ago when I thought I was doing granite and a less stylized range hood.

Top Knob Princetonian

Now that my kitchen looks like it does, I felt like this was too modern. I thought I'd be tired of it in a few years.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

3 things:

I think you should look for something that looks more like the hood. You picked a Goldilocks one, not too big, not too small, just right. I don't think either of the 2 match the hood

I think if I walked in and say your kitchen from the perspective of the dining area as pictured, and the pulls were different (significantly), I'd be saying, "Hey, why are those pulls different? Those look better than these!" (and you'ld be thinking '*&^*)((*!!!' )

That last picture doesn't work at all.

The last time I got glasses I needed 3 pairs. One for everyday use, one for the computer and one sunglasses for driving. All have VariFocus lenses. Only one had a new frame. The total damage? Around $800. Another $250 if I had not reused the old frames.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

With you on the Princeton... (and with Kellie on it being worse that you had to discover the problem.) As far the opinion above that this decision has nothing to do with the Vegas issue... If your taking the hardware decision from him keeps you sane and let's you move on, while keeping him alive, I say, "whatever works." Sometimes we just have to cope, even if it isn't that rational.

• editionk
    12 years ago

This is a clean line but has a gentle curve to it, similar to your hood. The downside is that it's a max 6" and antique pewter. But, maybe a look like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Knobs

• cjc123
    12 years ago

I have Highland Ridge in ORB. I feel it is a timeless style especially in nickle - I also agree that putting all those holes in the cabinets would be really hard for me. However, my cabinets are stained so not as easy to cover holes down the line if the need arose. I ordered my Highland Ridge at Knobs4less and saved almost $200.00. Just wanted to pass that on. Good luck! CJC

• rhome410
    12 years ago

That Top Knob option is much like the Kane Collection pulls by Amerock that we used on our master bedroom builtin. It comes in 3 sizes, but the largest is 7", and although it comes in a few finishes, the only nickel is satin.

I think that with the dining and kitchen so closely connected, physically by the peninsula, and both visible from other rooms, you could dare to go something as long as they appeared closely related in period and overall style. You could also mix in something new, like using glass knobs with the same pulls or something like that.

However, I don't think the Aubrey is so 'kitcheny' that it wouldn't look elegant in the dining room. The rooms and their furnishings with state the purpose and set the tone, and the classic nickel hardware will 'chameleon' with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kane pull

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know, one thing I always fail to mention is that we have a lot of antique oak furniture. Since the public rooms in the house are open or almost open to each other, that makes a difference.

For example, here's the dining table. It's a bit fussier than the other pieces. This will sit next to the peninsula.

Close up

I guess my view of the kitchen being kind of vintagey is influenced by my ownership of the antique furniture. Maybe?

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

My pulls are satin nickel, so I"m not suggeting them, but look at the link below. Maybe Cool Knobs and Pulls has them in a finish that you like. I don't know the name of them. Heck, they could be the Highland Ridge ones above.....

And, have you considered other RH pulls? The Lugamo, The Asbury, Bistro (very close to what you already have), Chatham, and Adeline. I like all of these. And there is a sale, as you know. Were the gambling tables on sale? I don't think so...

Here is a link that might be useful: what about this shape?

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Breezy, get what you want! That being said, the Amerock curves that you are not so fond of DO echo the wonderful curves of your hood.

• katieob
    12 years ago

Hi.

My vote is the Schaub. Kick him while he's down :)

Otherwise, Aubrey.
    Good luck,
    Katie

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

I like the one where the screws are showing.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. Forgive me for not addressing you all individually tonight.

I showed DH the other RH pulls when we were at the store. He liked the Ephram so we bought one. He thought everything else was "too fancy."

Bee--that Westerly pull was on my short list until I confirmed that I don't like brushed finishes. If that one came in polished nickel instead of brushed, Id be all over it.

HOWEVER.... It does come in graphite. Interesting, but that might be too much contrast for me on the white cabs.

I like this pull, but again it's only in brushed or graphite.

Despite my wishes, I can't find a simply-lined pull in polished nickel that comes in multiple sizes, including an 8", in my price range of about $10 max that I like better than the Aubrey. I think I just need to pick the Aubrey and move on to lighting. If I don't, I'm falling into the bad category mentioned on Palimpsest's trend thread of someone who doesn't have a vision and posts on the same subject more than once. ;)

• kellied
    12 years ago

I know you are really tired of decisions but I can see glass pulls and knobs in that kitchen which would definitely bring in a vintage feel. I just don't know if I can see you liking that look. It would be the answer for some but not for others.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I do like glass knobs although over all I'm not a fan of knobs. I was planning a glass one on the dish hutch and possibly in the DR. I showed DH one at RH and he emphatically said NO. Again, I'm doing what I want now. :)

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

I'm not crazy about the screws showing. I imagine something sticky on them and having to clean them.
    I think knobs on the dining room side would look great.

• kellied
    12 years ago

I have seen several sources for reproduction glass pulls and knobs. I do not know sizes, though. I'll see if I can't hunt them down.
    Besides, DH's taste isn't always the best thing going.

• desert_gal_nv
    12 years ago

I do like the Aubrey in Redroze's kitchen. I do. But it looks kind of insubstantial to me and I don't really like the exposed screws (having dug home made play dough out of some very similar spots). I keep going back to the Quincy pull. It just looks like it would be perfect in your kitchen - lovely straight lines but beefier than the flimsy Aubrey. I know that it doesn't make it into the allotted budget but it is GORGEOUS.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quincy pull

• scootermom
    12 years ago

Ooh, I like that one from Top Knobs, Bee's Amerock one, and the Quincy mentioned above. I think Chicaoans has a good point about the screw holes. The Amerock is probably my fave.

Your dining table is beautiful, Breezy!!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I really like the Aubrey, but not when you hold it up against your drawer. While I really like it against the slab door in Redroze's kitchen -- and ok in the larger center, I don't like it on the narrower frame at the top of a 5 pc drawer front. The feet and screws just seem to be a bit much for that space for me.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lascatx--I didn't even realize that DH held the pull in the wrong spot!! Would your opinion change if I said the pulls would be put in the middle of the drawer like Redroze's?

• powertoolpatriot
    12 years ago

Highland Ridge, simple yet elegant. The bulge gives it some character.

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

The Amerock or the Quincy are classic designs...and would give you the traditional look.

How did the graphite one look with the marble?

Whatever you pick...pick it because you love it- you are going to be living there not us...we just get to "play" here...

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I think it would be better in the center of the drawer. It didn't bother me in Redroze's kitchen, but her smaller drawers are slab, so you only have that on the larger ones. At least in the center, that broader part is snugged in the middle and not feeling like it is almost encroaching on the neighbors, if you know what I mean. It might still seem a bit crowded, but it would be wrapped instead of nearly hanging over.

Which raises another practical issue -- with 4 screws on the outer edges instead of more centered, you might run into a risk of splits if you are too near the edge. And four screw holes on the top of the frame means that ever changing those would have the patched holes in the most prominent spot where any imperfection in a fill is most likely to show. Sounds like that's not your plan, but just mentioning it.

If they are in the center, do you have good hand clearance to reach into the pull or does the frame above crowd you?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

FYI - show the pulls to your cabinet guy, first.

I chose aubrey and had to send them alllllll back. It turns out the way you mount them is from the front. My cabmaker insisted they needed to be screwed in from the back, especially on things like the d/w.

I thought I would over ride him but remember posting here and everyone agreed. It might vary with your cabinet thickness. idk.

My GC found ones that have faux screw heads (that was the part I like) and I am very happy with them.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

I am with Weedmeister.

Your HOOD is fantastic. Your pulls should foil that great hood.

I think you can do better than your 2 or 3 options shown here.

If pressed, I would go with Highland Ridge. I agree the second looks like a generic basement shop pull. I think you need something more special than that.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I didn't want to be the sole voice of dissension. I agree with juliekcmo. No suggestions for you because it really is an individual taste choice but I would keep looking. I don't like the Aubrey as I think that it is too industrial looking for your space but perhaps you are attracted to that fact that is a little different. I actually like the Top Knob one that you showed but I like linear lines and I think that the modern feel of them go with your hood.

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Between the two you posted, I vote for Highland Ridge.

Where'd you get your hood, BTW? It's gorgeous.

• editionk
    12 years ago

Breezy - have you found pulls yet?

I thought of the banding on your hood when I saw these pulls. In fact I started to post this picture a few days ago, but my computer freaked out and I lost the picture. Ran across it again today; let's hope my computer doesn't act up this time.

Sadly the pulls aren't clear in the picture, hoping you can get an idea and maybe someone else knows a mfg/style.

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by louisville kitchen and bath Kenneth Fromme

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

oooh...editionk, i like those!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Editionk- Nice pulls!

Breezy- If you still like your first two pull choices, then I'd pick the ones with the screw holes for the kitchen and the ones without, for the dining room. They're very similar, but the ones without will look just a little bit more fancy, as a dining room should :)

If DH lost that much...shouldn't you be getting candy, roses, wine and a night out, with a babysitter for the kids? Just saying...

• jcla
    12 years ago

I went for feel as much as looks. We have the RH Ephram pulls. Love the simplicity--and how they feel. Smooth. No ridges. We got mostly 6 inch pulls; a few 8-inchers on big drawers and pantry doors. They look and feel great.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been thinking about hardware between managing all the rest of the work going on at the house to get us moved back in this weekend. I will respond to some of your great suggestions soon. I appreciate the help.

I found this Hickory Hardware Savoy pull that almost fits my criteria. The largest pull is close enough to 8" that I think the sizes would work. The finish isn't polished nickel as I wanted. It's polished chrome. Probably close enough, although after seeing the RH polished nickel color I really prefer that.

{{!gwi}}

It's very similar to the Aubrey, but without the exposed screw ends.

I'm so sick of thinking about hardware. :-/

• traceee
    12 years ago

Are you sure 6" pulls are too small? I'm sure you've seen these - I'm an internet research freak too!!!

I remembered these from my search a few months back. I ended up with the Westerly pulls and knobs, too bad they don't come in the shiny polished finish you are looking for.

http://www.knobsandhardware.com/collections/Schaub--Company-Northport-Collection_c55344.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Schaub 6

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- If YOU like the hardware with the exposed screws...who cares if DH likes them, or not? You get to pick now, right? So pick! :)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I decided I don't like the last one I posted above as well in the light of day. Something about the rounded escutcheon with the squareness of my cabs.

Traceee--I have seen that Northport.

It isn't the 8" I was hoping for, but it still might look OK. I tried to mock it up on my longest drawers at the house Sunday, but it was hard with all the plastic covering my cabs protecting them from the trim painting, and plumber. I THINK I could get away with that size. DH even liked those!

I'm going to try again to mock it up after the plastic comes off tonight. Mtnrdredux mentioned her pulls above. I asked her about those and really like hers too. They are a bit beefier. I'll try to find the link.

I'm not sure where I am now on decision making. I think I may order the Aubrey pulls tomorrow in the store so will avoid shipping. I need to take the 60+ drive to that area anyway. That way I catch the sale. In the meantime, I'll order a Northport and one of Mtnrdredux's. They'll probably all arrive at the same time. If I (note I said I) like the Aubrey better, then we have them to install. If I prefer one of the others, I'll take the Aubreys back and order the others. There! I think I have a plan!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's Mtnrdredux's pull. I really like this one also, but it's even shorter at 5.51" long. Its beefy so maybe that makes up for the lack of length. I'm really not sure one of these would look balanced on a 38" drawer stack though. This is polished nickel.

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

ok. i'm sorry but i don't have time to read through this entire post so i'm sure i'm missing something. please forgive...
    anyway, i prefer the highland ridge to the one by RH. in general, i prefer no nonsense, chunky & heavy hardware. you should really check out the schwaub traditional line and handle it. i love it. and you know what else? i think i have an extra handle i'd be willing to send you if you'd like a sample. you're in luck since i miscounted when i ordered. just let me know!

and they come in 4", 6" and 12" appliance pulls. i used the 4" on the drawers, the 6" on the dishwashers and the 12" on the fridge and freezer. i know you said your dh doesn't like the screws showing (my dh didn't like that either) but the screws don't really show. it's just decorative (which i wasn't thrilled about) but when they're all up, you don't notice at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: schaub traditional pulls

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

I really like the last pull you posted Breezy. I can't opine on it working in your space for you, but I can say that it's one of the best looking pulls I've ever seen. Who makes it?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Hey (puffing out chest) that's my pull!

They are by Hafele

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele link in here

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I just looked at all the RH pulls again. I woudn't want the Aubrey because the 4 screw holes would be less functional and less change-able later. The Ephram is the closest alternative, so I would pick that and be done with it. Maybe on the DR side you could do knobs instead of pulls. That seems less kitchen-y to me.

It's none of my business, but I'd forgive DH for the gambling too. Life's too short to worry about money and cabinet pulls! You need to save that time for more important things - like obsessing over the pendants...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Hey Breezy i took photos of my 36" drawers, but photobucket is not cooperating.

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

This is a nice one from Hickory Hardware. However, it's in a lower price range than what you are currently looking at. We used these in ORB in our kitchen and really like them. They also come in solid brass with polished nickel ($$) if that's one of your requirements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Studio II pulls

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mpagmoma and Joyce--I apologize for not thanking you for your comments. We were in the middle of packing for the move back into our house at the time you responded.

To close the loop on this thread, I decided on the RH Aubrey pulls in polished nickel and now have them installed. DH and I both really like them. I finally found the camera/computer cord so I can download photos. I will try to get some pics taken after Christmas.

P.S. I have forgiven DH's gambling. Well, after I threw it at him once during a "discussion" a few nights after we moved back in. It was a stressful week, and I lost my composure. :(

• susanka
    12 years ago

We found pulls made out of our granite. How about doing that with your marble? Can't remember the name of the online fabricator though.

• babs711
    12 years ago

Breezy, where are current photos of your kitchen? I want to see updates! We've started building (finally!) so I haven't been on as much lately and must have missed your updates lately.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susan--I never thought of stone pulls. Interesting to know you can have them made.

Babs--the pics above are the most current ones I have downloaded to post. We moved back in right after those were taken, and things got crazy. No internet, no camera cord, boxes everywhere, thanksgiving, etc. I plan on taking more pics next week after Christmas now that things have settled. The kitchen is far from done, but looks better than it did in early November.

Good luck with your build! Hope things are going smoothly, and you can spend more time here. ;)