SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhousehelp123

New Construction Windows - NC

newhousehelp123
11 years ago

My contractor is getting quotes on new construction vinyl windows from Atrium and Ply-Gem. From reading reviews, I do not think I would be happy with either product. I was also planning on getting a quote for clad windows, but my builder says he did the rough openings for vinyl because that is what we had discussed. At the time I did not realize they had 2 different rough openings. I am building the house in central North Carolina, and I would like good quality windows. I have read good things about Marvin's integrity line and wonder if it would fit in the "vinyl" rough opening. I have also heard of Weathershield being offered in the area, but know very little about them.

I would appreciate any advice on Atrium vs. Ply-Gem and any other vinyl manufacturers as well as what my options may be for a quality window at this point. I would rather pay up front for quality versus going cheap and having to replace sooner down the road and it seems the general consensus is that both Atrium and Ply-Gem are bottom of the barrel builder grade windows.

Of course, I guess the other questions is how much will windows have changed in 10 years and would it be worth purchasing builder grade now and replacing in 10 years again with builder grade (i.e Will your better windows now still make the cut 10 years from now)?

Thanks and I appreciate all advice and opinions.

Comments (8)