SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

Check out this Shabby eBay seller

mangomoon
16 years ago

For anyone and everyone wanting to know everything there is to know to Shabby Chic, in a decorating sense as well as mosaics, check out one of my favorites, Faded Rose, on eBay. She includes photos of her Shabby Chic home as well as her mosaics, all of which are grouted in white. If this doesn't motivate anyone to drop the colored glass and go Shabby style, I don't know what would....It's just too delicious!

Here is a link that might be useful: Faded Rose

Comments (54)

• foxglove44
    16 years ago

I did Shabby Chic when I first started doing mosaics and I sold quite a bit on ebay. I used to have my dining room and living room decorated in the Shabby Chic Style. Now my office is more cottage garden then Shabby Chic but there's something charming about pink roses!
    Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxgloves Mosaics

• lilym
    16 years ago

I have her bookmarked and also vintagedragonfly. Actually, I don't have any of it in my house but I love the look. Few people here seem to like it, It's why I no longer post any of my stuff here. Oh well, different strokes for different folks!

• Related Discussions

Brug E-bay Sellers

Q

Comments (30)
    Hi all, Love brugs. I had a greenhouse years ago and grew about 5 or 6 of them. I purchased one last year about three feet tall but didn't bloom. Will this year as it grew to about 6ft. Then a nursery owner gave me one which she planted in the ground and was about 8ft tall. It was loaded with dbl blooms that start out white then change to orange. I don't know the name of this one either. I'd love to have more of them but don't have the room in the house as the two I have are in 20 inch pots so what I was wondering is if they could be kept in a cool basement in complete darkness or would they not survive in complete darkness? Scott
    ...See More

OT a bit....Any eBay sellers out there?

Q

Comments (21)
    Thanks for the suggestion deeinohio, but i had the problem before when I was trying to upload another photo that didn't have the word bat in it. Well, it was battery, but I don't think that's the case. It has been suggested over on the eBay board that I change my browser from IE to Mozilla Firefox. I am scared to do that, although people swear by it, and it seems to help those that have had the upload problem. I just hate to change the whole look of my browser page. I've become so use to it and it's easy to move around. When the new upgrade for IE came, I upgraded, but hated the new format, so I went back to the older version. perhaps that could be the problem. I keep getting messages from YouTube and other sites that I need to upgrade my browser. I'll see tomorrow. Going to bed!
    ...See More

Check out my CL antique bargain, compared to the pricey eBay one

Q

Comments (13)
    Incredible! And YES I can picture it laden with Christmas stuff for the Holidays! And yes RL would have snapped that up IF he found it! You are amazing!
    ...See More

eBay seller:1morestitch reviews?

Q

Comments (9)
    I have had no problems with her. She packages quite nicely, and has sent an extra plant (lost label) a couple times. they are nice starter plants that will take a couple years to flower, but it beats raising from seed (which I also do) but seeds are R E A L L Y R E A L L Y S L O W Clivia seed are almost glacial in growth. Like watching/waiting for the paint peel after a fresh paint job. It's why we grow other things, like Adenium, which is a trifle faster dave
    ...See More
  • diamondjennie
    16 years ago

I have her as one of my favorite sellers and love her inspirational stuff! Also check out coloradocrafts and prettycottage, they are amazing too! (If you are a shabby chic fan like me!)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Lilym, just because shabby isn't popular with alot of us doesn't mean we don't appreciate it. Please don't feel we don't like seeing yours or anyone elses shabby chic style -thats not true at all. I just can't imagine it in my house, but it's beautiful all the same.

Mango got my ire up alittle when she suggested that everyone would want to go shabby style??? Sorry, I love Nanatricia's and Diamond's tables but I could never imagine them in my house. Beautiful but not my style..
    Heck after looking at the decor on that ebay sellers pics, I'm feeling diabetic.

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Oh lilym, I am so sorry if you feel your work is not appreciated. Please post your pics. I love to look at everyone's work! One of the best parts of the forum is lookin' at everyone's work. From frazzled ducks, purple walrus', armoires, and bowling balls all types of work is appreciated.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Lilym......if we all had the same taste, this would be a very very boring world! I love looking at various mosaics......I get inspired by everyone...everyone does their own individual style...please post again....I would love seeing them...my attitude is that I don't do mosaics to please anyone but myself....it is my therapy...! It does make me feel great when someone actually likes what I have done...and it is just an added bonus if I do sell something....but I really don't do moasics for anyone other than to satisfy myself and to lift the stress, plus I really really love doing it. The current project of mine..the warrior...my daughter thinks I have totally lost my mind......and actually said she really doesn't like anything about it. I'm sure that others on this forum don't care for him, as it is not something they would choose to do......but that's okay with me. Again, I didn't do it to please anyone but myself. So, let's see some of your amazing mosaics.........! There isn't any mosaics that I don't like.........some may not be my personal style...but I like it all and have learned something each time from everyone that posts!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

LILYM Please post your things here!!! I couldn't IMAGINE all that pink in my house (I could hear my DH now) But I love to look at individual pieces. We learn stuff from everyone here( mostly what NOT to do from me)

Maria

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

I LOVE the shabby stuff, and I'd LOVE to see your pics!

• rchovey
    16 years ago

LILYM, I would love to see your work! I definitely appreciate all the work that goes into it. It is art! Just as a particular painting wouldn't hang in my home, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it as art. Please post everything so we can all appreciate it!

Ramona

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Very nice it is, but just not my thing. But very very pretty if you like it very girly.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Geez. I didn't mean to discourage ANYONE form posting pics of their shabby stuff. I really like to look at it, but it's not my personal style either.
    I guess I get a little defensive when someone keeps insisting that glass is cheap looking compared to plates.
    Please, please LILYM..keep those pics coming!

• realtor348
    16 years ago

nicethyme:

I re-read Mango's original post. No where is she forcing anyone to go Shabby, nor is the post rude in any way. There have been many people, lurkers (like myself) among them, that would love to learn more about cutting china.

The high bid is hardly anything to cough about. If you don't like it the style, then post elsewhere. If you feel ill because you chose to read and respond to the thread that wasn't to your liking, and perhaps you are having a diabetic moment, I suggest you go have an Ensure.

And yes, glass is way cheap compared to mosaics created with china.

If this group wasn't so 'clique-ish' you might have more people want to get involved, but it appears obvious why some people would not want to get involved.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Dang....

• gin_gin
    16 years ago

Huh? I've never met a nicer group of people on the net. I don't post here a whole lot, but I've always felt welcomed. People post pictures of all different styles of mosaics here & I've never seen anyone here post anything unkind. Sometimes a little constructive criticism if it's asked for. I personally don't like the shabby chic style either & don't use plates in my mosaics as a personal preference. You won't see one floral print in my house, I prefer more clean contemporary design. That doesn't mean I don't want to see pictures of the stuff or I can't appreciate the craftsmanship of the piece. I personally love love glass. I love the colors, the translucency of it, the interaction with light. Lately I have moved to fusing & slumping glass. Sorry, china doesn't do a thing for me. It's just personal taste. That doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with those who do like it. Also the price of tessarae varies widely. Yes glass can be cheap if you have a good source for scrap. It can also be quite expensive. Lots of the ladies here seem great at scoring lots of china for cheap at thrift stores & stuff.

• tasymo
    16 years ago

Sheesh, Realtor348! Where did that come from??? Neither Nicethyme or Mangomoon came across as rude as far as I'm concerned. Where on Earth do you get 'clique-ish' on this forum? Everybody has different tastes and is free to express their opinions about it. For the most part, We all manage to do it in a pleasant and friendly manner. Personally I like color and alot of it, though I gravitate toward china shards rather than glass. No big deal. I still enjoy seeing EVERYONES mosaic and stained glass projects regardless of their style, tessare choices or even their skill level. Kathy

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Realtor, I took Mango's post as joking around so I did the same. I felt bad when I learned that Lilym was feeling like she shouldn't post her work because her style is out numbered here. That doesn't make any sense to me, but then niether does your first post. It always amazes me how people lurk boards and blame the participants for being a clique. If you've lurked long you would have seen that anyone who posts here are welcomed whole heartedly, no matter their personal mosaic or glass art style.

so without further ado, my formal apologies to Mango and anyone else who felt I was harsh in my acessment of those pics. AND welcome Realtor, please show us what you make and by all means ask any questions you have. I'm certain you will feel a part of this forum just as soon as you choose to be a part.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Clique-ish? Hmmmmmm. I have never felt this group was the least bit clique-ish. This is the only group who Welcomes ever single newbie that joins us. Look how many lurkers join us all the time. We are supportive and everyones cheering section. I don't understand that comment at all.

Hazie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

realtor- WHAT?? Clique-ish, here?? We have all ages,styles,areas of the country!I've never heard ONE BAD WORD about anyone's project!!EVER! They even say nice stuff about my stuff!!Many people ask for SUGGESTIONS

A lot of us migrated from the Garden junk forum. Between there and here are some of the greatest people around. Post a little or a lot, you are one of the gang.

Show us your projects and join in, we love all pictures!!

Maria

• rchovey
    16 years ago

LOVE PICTURES!!! We all love pictures and we all appreciate art in all forms. Friendliest bunch of folks I've ever had the pleasure of talking to are here. If we all made the same style things we wouldn't need a forum!!

POST THOSE PICTURES, share with us.

Ramona

• Hazel Mahon
    16 years ago

I feel compelled to say that I lurked here for a while, before I joined, and while I'm not very prolific (yet!) and don't post a lot, I've never been welcomed so warmly on any other forum, and all these talented people have been very supportive of my beginner projects:)

Hazel

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Hmmmmmm....we probably have over 100 active participants. how clique-ish could that be? We are all at different stages in our work and have different preferences and talents. That doesn't mean we CAN'T or DON'T appreciate the art or creativity of others. ALL ARE WELCOME HERE!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Mango- what are your thoughts?! I did think that gals tables were pretty and the sides were really done differently than I have ever seen.

Lily- I'm sorry we made you feel your stuff wasn't good enough even if it wasn't our style. I know I'm echoing a lot of stuff but I do like to look at shabby chic even if I have never done it before!

Realtor-Like everyone else said "welcome", post some pics and show us what medium you use. Heck a lot of us don't even use glass sometimes, we use jewelery, bb's, buttons, keys, whatever we got!!!

There have been several posts on cutting china if you go backwards in the time line.

Nice- doesnt this remind you of that post someone re-bumped up from the other day? Called "enjoyed this"

Everyone-Just so you all know I really do love looking at all your stuff. Whether or not its my way of doing a mosaic or not, like others have said, if we all did it the same with the same opinion it would be boring!!!

• mangomoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chickeemama,

As far as what my thoughts are, I loved looking at her photos, and the angles of the mosaics and her home as she captured them. Very magazine like! I like the design. They call that a plate design, but I think there is too much white. I would have liked the mosaic perhaps on a green nightstand, blue or other color. I did admire the roses in some of the main focals, those are unmistakably Bavarian roses. I collect those, but have yet to cut them up !

Mango Moon

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

I for one love looking at it .I do like roses and the look .But I love all kinds of mosaic and you know there is all kinds of ways of doing it not shure about some of it .How awww! i am at some of it .Some I would never do .I do love working with dishes and glass .I reali love working with safty glass .There is just so many ways of doing mos.I I do love this place .So hang our heads high and keep on posting our work for we love it all.
    PS I wish I could sale my stuff for that price.

• silvamae
    16 years ago

Hey guys, I haven't posted in awhile but I lurk every day! Here's my one attempt at shabby chic although it's not my style (funny, it's one of my favorites).

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

I just want to say that I love everyone here,and I love seeing everything you all do.I've learned a lot from all of you.I do a lot of shabby chic look because it's what I can sell the most where I live,don't have a single piece in my home, thanks to all of you I've learned to use more glass and am mixing it with my china.I don't consider this a click I consider it a group of friends sharing the love of mosaic,and I know for a fact that every newbie has been welcomed over and over again.we welcome everyone no matter what stage they are in with their mosaics and look forward to seeing everything they have done.we love seeing everyones work no matter what style we're headed in.I am just so happy to be a part of this ....keeps us smiling right girls!!

• silvamae
    16 years ago

Same here, I love to mix it up! Stained glass, tumbled so long as to be unrecognizable, is my favorite, but yet, judging by the size of my stash, broken china must be my favorite! Oh well, as I said, I love to mix it up. Broken china, stained glass, marbles, jewelry, button covers, drink stirrers, you name it, I love to incorporate it all into one object! Oh wait, I forgot to mention - Swarovski crystals, I like to add a few of those into the mix.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Hi All, Been awhile since I have been here. So busy and computer glitches keeping me away. Can't sleep so catching up a little.

WOW these night stands are lovely. I do like Shabby decor myself and I also like glass so I mix them. Heheheh

My style in our house is minimalistic shabby. Now if that is not a contradiction I do not know what is. I love the shabby mosaics and I hate clutter. LOL

I am working on a small library table that is going to be sort of like these night stands. Not sure if my workmanship will compare. Mostly just the plates and flowers. But I do plan on using some glass. I love to mix it up.

Honestly I admire all of the abstract mosaics so many here do. I even try to do them and my stuff always keeps leaning towards shabby. Sigh.

Thanks Mangomoon for the heads up on the auction. Gives me lots of inspiration.

Chris

• lilym
    16 years ago

I did not plan to comment further on this but will just say this...I don't for one minute think that anyone has to like the same thing - I don't like a lot of what I see here but I never would say, nice but not my thing. It's a negative remark I don't care how you slice or dice it and if something in the style that you do was posted here and several came on and made remarks on the style just ask yourself how you would feel. This isn't the first time, I just had more restraint and didn't express an opinion. :)
    Carry on, I return you now to your regular scheduled program.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Lets not confuse a style with a member's actual work. Mango's post was just as much about the decor of the home as it was the mosaics. My comments were in regards to what I saw and had nothing at all to do with saying something negative about a member's project. The two are simply not the same.

So what's the deal, all the nice compliments you've recieved on your projects don't matter as much as what you percieve as a slam on... a style????????????

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Silvamae, I LOVE that birdhouse! beautiful, your color combos are always perfect!

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

mango- As a newbie who hasn't even started the first project yet (still collecting "stuff" for it), I am totally in awe at those pix, and THANK YOU for pointing it out. I think your comment was just a general thing...and you're right! If that doesn't inspire the most manly-man to want a frilly-pink girly-girl bedroom, nothing will!

Ha ha.
    But seriously though, I know *my* DH would absolutely LOVE this. He is very 'sentimental' about the things that he grew up around in his grandmother's house- flowery sheets, flowery tapestry couches & drapes...it stuck with him, and he feels a certain 'comfort' in the style. I think it's a very psychological thing, but it was his "happy place."

I agree; the work is truly inspiring (to those who would be moved by this type of thing; not everyone will be, or who are looking for that "something" that they just couldn't put their finger on til now on what the "something" was that they were looking for.)

I love the shabby-chic look, but for whatever reason, always end up with a different style that apparently is more dominant in my brain: a sort of "old world" tuscan-feel to most of my decorating.

I am always looking for ideas, and this is really wonderful!

• silvamae
    16 years ago

Thank you, Nicethyme. Oh and Mangomoon, what I meant to state in my previous post (but I got sidetracked) was that those nightstands are the most beautiful examples of the style. Wow, they are so well-made, just gorgeous. Very inspiring!

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Hey mmqchdygg, the same thing happens to me when I have tried to do the Shabby chic style. I can't seem to get it onto the substrate my brain goes another direction. I have made bold attempts twice, even got stuff nipped up, but it just didn't happen. I am gonna do this though. I have collected some beautiful stuff for it. I guess I have to wait for the brain to catch up with the spirit!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, I do believe we have a little tiff going on. Don't have time to argue - much better things to do, but do want to apologize to LIL, cuz I have made the remark she refers to in the past, but didn't mean it to be negative. Like to look at ALL styles cuz the workmanship inspires me to be better, even though the style isn't mine. I would NEVER have DREAMED anyone w/call us cliqueish cuz we're always so happy to have newbies. GEESH - must be a full moon.

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Wednesday, slow :) I firmly believe in the power of the full moon, too!

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Some lurkers should STAY lurking........

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

tmg-
    do I want to know if that was for me???

• shrty411
    16 years ago

mmqchdygg--I highly doubt it

Maria

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Oh No !! My Goodness NO !!!!!!!!!!! That was meant for that realtor guy with the rude comments ! That's why I said SOME lurkers - I certainly don't mean nice people
    like you ! Am I forgiven ?? ;)

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Phew...I didn't know if I was 'out of line' with the moon comment...but THAT also wasn't meant for this thread...just a general comment.

It's all good.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

mary mary (love that by the way) it certainly fits this thread to a tee! lol

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

Totally agree with Toomuch. Go back to Lurkdom if you can't say anything nice, realtor person. You started bashing us before even introducing yourself and seeing if you would receive a warm welcome. Which, you did, by the way get a warm welcome even after you accused us here of being clique-ish. Ridiculous. I think you owe everyone here an apology, especially Nicethyme. That is, if you have the nerve to post again. AND, did anyone notice that this realtor person registered with GW the same day he/she told everyone off? Are you kidding me with this?!

P.S. Stuff in the link was pretty.

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

Oh and I forgot. Welcome realtor348.

MMQCHDYGG- Welcome and can't wait to see your first project! BTW, what does your screen name mean?!?

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Maybe realtor is the same person that bashed mosaics in the junkyard

Maria

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

I really like looking at EVERYONE'S projects. Everyone has different tastes and I really enjoy seeing the different projects everyone has....Also, this is a great group of gals...Have really enjoyed checking in each day to see what yall have been doing...

Sandra

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

I feel like Jim Carrey in "The Mask."

I've already got my next project lined up: The sofit in the bathroom is going to get a Shabby Chic overhaul!!! Whoo-hoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

Geeee, thats too bad that some people feel that way. I think this is the nicest board for mosaics. Everyone is helpful and shares what they have discovered works or doesnt.
    I lurk a lot (sorry!) due to the fact that I havent really finished anything lately, but big plans for this winter mosaic wise.
    Bianchi

• diamondjennie
    16 years ago

I agree with the friendliness of this "homey" site! I visit not as often as I could, and am always welcomed anew! I will send posts with pics to my daugher and she will say 'oh, I don't like that style' and I will say, well, I was admiring the ARTISTRY! I don't like every style, but that's what I love about this forum, there are all kinds of stuff, and everyone is still very positive! (Usually!) I'm glad to call this place "home"! Jennie

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Yeeeee hawwwww. Me, too, DIAMOND - LOVE this place.

Sponsored