SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

SS21 has issues with ME?!?

tamar_422
15 years ago

I have posted, on and off, for the last two years about my blended family and issues. And we have had a lot of them. I had two teenage SSs move into my home when their mother remarried and moved out of state. My stepsons had no rules, structure or curfew at their mother's, and expected the same at their dad's. My older SS was used to having his friends over to party, so we were having people come at all hours. DH was parenting out of guilt, just so grateful that older son was talking to him again. I finally had to put my foot down and say, "no pot smoking, no underage drinking, not in my house, or I'm outta here with the younger kids."

My younger SS had lots of issues with is mother moving away, started to party a lot, racked up a DUI, at which point his mother said, "I have to come back, son NEEDS me, plus I'm not happy here." She moved back for a short while, during which time son became unmanageable, went to live with biomom, who left him home alone on weekends to go back to visit her husband, he had parties, he ended up self-mutilating and on Zoloft, she left him home alone again one final weekend, when he just lost it, cutting himself so many times that he needed up in the psych ward, and then rehab for 6 months. He came back home to live with us, as we all had decided it really was the best place for him. He's been home for almost a year, and is doing exceptionally well.

Older SS, now a 21 yo college senior, has had some issues with personal responsibility. We are paying 100% for his college expenses, but he was supposed to come up with spending money by working summer jobs. Never happened. It's become a huge issue because his mother is complaining we are not sending him enough monthly allowance. The $1,000/monthly allowance apparently does not cover his garage parking (too inconvenient to park on the street) and private gym membership (doesn't like the university gym - too many jocks). We told son up front that while we would pay to have his car up at school, we would not pay for garage parking. And the gym he joined on his own.

Anyway, SS21 just sent DH and biomom an email about wanting to discuss deep-seated anger issues that date back to the time he was about 5 years old up until present time. He also said that once he discusses these issues with his parents, he also has some issues to address with stepmom as well.

I mentioned elsewhere that biomom was a raging alcoholic and DH spent as much time at work as possible to escape this home life, so older SS was left to bear the brunt of his mother's drunken wrath. Also, I'm sure the subsequent divorce and remarriages have left him floundering. Biomom once told me that SS21 doesn't like to be at our house because I "like to pretend we're one happy family, and we're not." Well, I'm pretty happy with DH and the 5 kids we have at home, and I'm sorry if SS21 isn't, but I'm not sure that's my fault. My sister did point out to me that on some level it has to be difficult for SS21 to see what a happy life his little brother, my DS6, who is the spitting image of older brother, has, compared to his life at that age. But again, I've done nothing but bend over backwards to make this a happy home for my blended family.

Anyway, I'm feeling very annoyed and impatient with SS21. I tell you, it's a thankless job, being a stepmom.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor