SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whidbey_gw

question for oberon (or other expert) re: jet noise! did we goof?

whidbey
15 years ago

We are building a new home in a designated noise zone (zone 3). We live right near a navy field where the jets fly directly over the top of our house, I kid you not. I swear I could read the serial numbers off the bottom of these things when they fly over! I am talking LOUD.

Anyhow, I think I might be very disappointed with my windows. They just got delivered and are sitting in the garage awaiting installation. When I first called the company I purchased my windows from, I asked about Milgard... which everyone here seems to use. The lady seemed very knowledgeable and told me Atrium windows would be the way to go as they were the same quality, warranty, etc., only about 30% cheaper. She said this was due to them trying to compete with Milgard.

I made sure to tell her we are in a noise zone and according to county code the windows must be 3/16" or have an STC of -33. (Also, our windows needed ventilation as we have radiant heat flooring and no other means of an air exchange). She agreed and sent me a quote within a few days. Upon reading through my quote I noticed she had forgotten the air vents on the windows (which she did) and then thought I should ask if she quoted the PROPER type of glass rating/thickness (the quote only specified U-Rating, not STC rating). She realized she goofed and apologized for leaving BOTH out and sent me another updated quote. Again, no mention of an STC rating although at the top of the quote was written 1/8" over 1/8" glass.

After reading through your very informative posts on sound protection and STC ratings, I am VERY worried that our windows are not good enough sound barriers. I have no idea what the STC rating is (going to call Atrium tomorrow) and no idea about the air space in between. I am so disappointed because NOW, after reading up on all this, I realize there were other options that were never even offered. I feel totally disserviced. I feel like she should have mentioned that I had other options:

1. Atrium makes a different line of windows, geared toward noise ("soundproof").

2. Milgard makes Quiet Line windows

3. At the very least I could have been offered laminated glass or SOMETHING (I read that here).

I don't even know if I am in compliance with the building code at this point, and even if I am I don't know if it's enough. What do you think? Am I overreacting? Do you think I have anything to worry about?

Please keep in mind, we're talking NAVY JETS flying, LITERALLY, right over our heads.

Sorry for the long-winded story. :)

Comments (5)