SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karoloke_gw

Mold beneath bathroom window . How do we rectify it?

karoloke
16 years ago

I just removed vinyl wallpaper in one of our bathrooms and found mold in an area underneath the window down into the drywall and the studs. This was also the case 11 years ago when we moved in. We've never seen evidence of a leak. When we moved in, we just figured the previous owners had left the window open and it rained in, so we replaced the drywall and wallpapered, but now it's happened again. I called a few window people thinking the window must be leaking, and the 2 or 3 I talked to on the phone felt sure it caused by condensation.

Does that sound correct, and what do we need to do to correct the situation to so it won't happen again? We thought we'd have it recaulked on the outside, and add some "Great Stuff" foam sealant in a small gap in the framing underneath the window. We'll also clean up the mold and replace the drywall with cement board and have our kids always use the exhaust fan while showering. Does that sound like it would fix the problem, or should we have the window replaced or something else?

Thank you so much for your expertise and help!

Comments (8)