SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mythak

Work table w/o obstructed front access?

18 years ago

I have a problem: I collect and fix sewing machines. My husband and I finally came up with a vision to help organize my fix it shop, but can't figure out the details of how to make our creation work.

What we want to do is to put a long workbench across a wall and store some of the cabinet machines on rolling dollies below. We were thinking of building something about 37" high and 24" deep with stock laminate as the work top. (I can't remember how long it is but want to guess that the total length is close to 10 feet) The base is the problem. We are having problems finding directions for how to build the base for the laminate. It would need to have the legs on the side, but no brace or shelve across the bottom as that would prevent me from wheeling my machines under for storage. We will probably need extra legs at various places or something making "stalls" for the machines. (Machine cabinets are about 30" high). Because I would sometimes fix old iron machines on top of the table part, it needs to be study (some of my machines heads weigh up to 30 lbs and sometimes I have more than one up there..)

We are beginning woodworkers. I have searched the Internet but all the directions for workbenches have a shelf across the bottom or supports spanning the bottom front legs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Amy

Comments (11)