SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Muddling with Mudroom Design/Decor

jan_in_wisconsin
13 years ago

So our back entry is in need of more functionality, not to mention decor.

Here are a couple pictures of the area (it's about 5 1/2' wide by just over 14' long, although it's wider by the back door, which isn't visible in the pictures:

The two rooms in the back hall are the laundry room:

and half bath:

I'd like to put a bench between the two doorways to these rooms, and I'm liking either a bench and shelf from PB, which have storage, in either black or cream:

OR, maybe this two-seat bench without storage from Ballard:

The space between the two doorways is about 55", and the PB Bench is 50" and the Ballard bench is 38".

I'd also like to put a woven cotton runner rug back there. I've been looking at this runner from Dash & Albert in a 2.5' x 8' length:

OR

a braided wool honey multi-colored rug by LL Bean:

Sorry about the small image. For a larger image, go to the LL Bean site and check out the honey multi-colored one:

LL Bean Wool Rugs

I also like these wool Surya Farmhouse striped rugs, but I'm not sure either color would work:

More colors are available for the Surya rugs too:

Suryha Farmhouse Stripe Rugs

Realistically, we'd need another rug by the back doorway (either in the house or in the garage) in a 3' x 5' size - maybe a Waterhog rug, for the winter months.

The wall color in the back hall and laundry is SW Blonde (the half bath is BM Old Canal), and there are two ceiling-mounted lights of the same type back there. The floor is ceramic tile with a lot of variations of brown. The neighboring kitchen is red, and there are a number of painted black furniture pieces in the kitchen and front entryway.

I am also considering putting a standing coat rack in the far corner, and maybe a large woven decorative basket for mittens, hats, umbrellas, etc.

And the walls need something too - maybe a picture or something decorative.

I would like to have a nice cushion on the bench, but I'm stumped as to whether a pattern might work. It probably depends on the rug.

The Ballard bench has a lot of fabric options for the cushion, while the PB bench is either plain raffia or sage. I like the red and gold in this print by Ballard (can't seem to show it with the black bench, though):

If I go with the Ballard bench, there are a lot more cushion options:

Ballard Cushions

So, what are your thoughts?

Jan

Comments (26)