SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ribs1

Major Problems with Marvin Integrity Dealer

ribs1
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Just thought I would vent a little. We are in the middle of a major kitchen remodel and decided to upgrade our windows in the process. Because of good reports here, high ratings on consumer reports and just generally liking the windows we decide to go with Marvin Integrity. We were replacing a bay window above the sink, 2 double hungs and a picture window and 2 door walls.

We had 3 different quotes and decided to go with the local factory authorized dealer even though he wasn't the cheapest. We figured that quality of installation and service and support would be better. We could not have been more wrong.

At the time of signing the contract we informed the dealer that we were on a time frame and needed the windows installed before the kitchen installers got to the backsplash as the tile would need to be fitted below and around the bay window. The dealer assured us that he would be able to get the windows installed in no more than 4-5 weeks. The kitchen guys were starting in 8 weeks so we signed the contract. At the time we informed the dealer that we wanted full frame replacement and we did not want to lose any glass area.

After 5 weeks passed, I called the dealer multiple times and didn't here back from him until 2 weeks later. When he finally called he said it would be another 2 weeks. By the time his installers finally showed up it was a full 9 weeks after we signed the contract and he held up our kitchen job.

The day of the install I noticed the installer unpacking the double hung windows. I said to him that they seemed narrower than my old windows. He said not to worry and that they would look great once installed and trimmed.

When I got home I measured my new windows and they were 5 1/2 inches narrower than my old windows and 2 inches shorter. The door walls were 7 inches narrower and 3 1/2 inches shorter than my old windows. Because the windows were so much smaller he had to build them in with 2 x 4s and cover the gaps with a lot of aluminum coil stock. The windows are way to small, the exterior trim looks terrible and the interior trim also looks terrible. Poor miters, 3 inch reveal to meet the paint lines. Just a very bad job.

I called the owner and asked him to take a look and see if we could work it out. He said that he trusted his installers and didn't need to come and see the jobsite. He also said that I worried too much. He then proceeded to make a bunch of snide remarks and tell me how much of a good deal he gave me and tried to make me feel like I should be happy to get what I got for the price I paid.

Later that day my wife took a look at the windows and agreed that they looked worse than our old windows. My wife and I decided to put a stop payment on our check (we paid $4000 up front and $4000 when they started the install)

We could only stop payment on the final payment of $4000.

We called the owner the next morning to inform him that we stopped payment on the check and that we would like him to take a look at the job site. He became irate and said that we were ridiculous and that he had never had a problem before. After he calmed down I informed him again that our new windows were much narrower than before. He said that we were between sizes and that he could install larger windows and increase our openings for an additional charge!!! He said that Marvin Integrity only came in stock sizes!!!

1. He didn't tell us that when we signed the contract

2. I called and confirmed with Marvin that their windows can be ordered in any size to the 64th of an inch.

A week later the owner left me a message demanding his balance. After another few days he sent me a past due notice with interest.

Finally over the last few days we started speaking with our attorney and decided to send the owner a demand letter asking for a full refund so I can have another contractor replace the windows.

This has been a total nightmare for us. This contractor mislead us the entire way and I feel he is trying to just steal my money. I have learned something from this experience though.

1. Get every little thing in writing and I mean everything. Our contract was intentionally vague.

2. Pay in installments like 10% up front, 10% on deliver, 30% on job finishing and 50% on final inspection. I will never pay 50% up front again, and I almost paid the other 50% before the job was finished.

3. Do your research and look at other completed jobs and ask around a lot. I went with this guy just because he was the certified Marvin installer.

We'll see how this ends up. We gave the dealer a chance to make it right and he refused so now we are trying to get a refund. I fear this one might end up in court.

Thanks for letting me vent. On a side not, everything else with our kitchen remodel is going great.

Comments (146)