SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_nyefnyef

Fixed Window Frame Rotted - and on 3rd Floor

Mrs_Nyefnyef
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I am a complete newbie to windows, and need your expert advice! I only know 2 things: I hate Pella, and I love Marvin. My home has Pella windows original to when the home was built in 1991. In one room is a row of 5 windows next to each other. 3 are fixed, i.e. do not open, and 2 are casements. The windows are 33"wide by 58"tall.

My climate is suburban Chicago (zone 5a for you gardeners). The windows face SE and get a ton of sun. A couple of the windows in the winter get an ice line under the bottom, which I see first thing in the morning. Then when the sun hits it, the ice melts so the water puddles on the inside sill and frame. In winter, I put towels rolled up onto the sill to soak up the water. I also leave the window shades partially up to let air circulate, but I still get the ice line when the outside air is very cold.

So, the window frame in the worst condition is pictured here. It needs to be replaced. In my previous home I had Marvin windows, and thought they were great. But I am just looking to replace a fixed window and frame here, not one of the casement windows. Is it worth it to contact a local Marvin dealer for this fixed window? I didn't even see fixed windows on their website. Or, my neighbor told me he replaced his fixed windows with a local guy who has no-name windows, who he said did a nice installation.

And my final issue is that these windows are on the third floor. Does the installer need to have scaffolding, or can the window be installed just from the inside?

Comments (23)