SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

windows and new energy codes

LE
10 years ago

Well, I've had to learn more about windows and glazing lately than I ever really wanted to know! Would like more opinions, though-- esp. from those not trying to sell me anything.

The basics: new construction, energy code requires average U value to be no more than 0.3. We are aiming for low maintenance, so selected fiberglass and wanted black inside and out, so chose Milgard. So far so good. Then it's time to do the weighted average to calculate the U.

We'd like some thermal gain since we live in a cool climate and A/C is not an issue. But the glazing that has better solar heat gain coefficient has worse U values and vice versa. The person we've been working with at the window dealer said we would not be happy with 366 in rooms that also had 270 or 180 because we'd see the difference, and that it looks greenish from the outside. She also advised against the triple panes we had included, because "they'd be reflective from the inside and you see a bunch of triple reflections" plus they're overkill for our climate, which is also not that cold.

Anyone else dealing with this? I can see how it would be best to use the same glazing so as to not draw attention to any differences, but I think the 366 is overkill. Do you have triple pane windows and do they bother you?

Comments (8)