SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria1_gw

Dad Moved Away...And Moved On: Daughter Left Behind

victoria1
17 years ago

I am just looking for some different thoughts and perspectives on a parent moving away (physically and emotionally) after divorce.

A good friend of mine is experiencing severe emotional turmoil, and although I am sure she felt it all along, it is being released now. I hate seeing her in such deep, raw, emotional pain and I find myself wanting to ask her questions (although of course i will not) because I dont understand.

Her parents divorced when she was a child....I am not sure why, but things were cordial. He moved out and left mom and my friend with the house. He soon after took a job across the country and remarried (not sure the order)and had a daughter. She is the type to talk about her feelings all the time, but she rarely mentions him. No complaints about stepmom, her half sister, etc.

They talk on the phone once every few months, see each other once a year, and he sent her money during college.

Not long ago she broke down, just completely lost it, screaming and crying from years of pent up hurt and anger. He was coming to visit her, and she realized she didn't even know if it was because he wanted to, or because he felt had to. She would never say anything to him about it because she gets scared of losing the relationship they DO have.

She has had problems with premiscuousity during her teens and early 20's, which she credits with the need for male companionship (or whatever) which she never had. She feels that because he left her, she was not "enough" to make him stay.

Mom dated once when she was still very young, and she felt happy for her mom, until she witnessed the bf having an affair. That ended and mom has resolved that she will use her life for other things.

Yes I know my friend could benefit from counseling...she gets it....it does not help. Even if she talked with him about it, the damage is done...has been done for a few dozen years.

I cannot get it through my head how a parent can leave a child. He may keep in contact, etc., but for all intents and purposes, he DID leave her. Now I know there are other sides to the story that I do not understand, and that is why I am posting this, for perspective. I do know for a fact though, that finances were NOT involved. He may have found it to painful to see her, stay around, etc., but to me....you are a parent for life. Once you have a child, instinct urges a child's undeveloped emotional needs take priority.

If someone has perspective to aid my understanding of Dad's perspective, it would be much appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer