SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How hard to fish through exterior wall/marriage wall in modular?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

I've got a modular home, receptacles not placed where I would like them (different from plans) and I have a switch that was supposed to be 3-way that isn't.

1) How hard to fish through marriage wall, staying on same side, to move receptacle to next stud over (add, not actually move the one that's there, which is probably in the middle of the circuit)? I have basement access, or if that is a problem I could open up the bay for about 5" x 24" (studs on marriage wall are 24" OC, offset by 12" from joined module) though I am trying to minimize drywall repair.

2) How hard to fish through marriage wall on opposing side to add receptacle to hallway from room on other side? I have attic access.

3) How hard to fish through exterior 2x6 fiberglas R-22 insulated wall to just add traveler to (new) 3-way switch to replace the one that was supposed to be 3-way? I have J-box in basement below where wires from front garage lights are connected to switch. I could easily access that J-box (if I can get 1 wire down to it) and run across basement then up to mudroom (I'm assuming that will be easy on interior wall) where I have 3-way switch installed for interior garage lights - I could "repurpose" that switch for front exterior lights and change the 3-way on other side of door (literally 3ft away) to single pole.

I've added receptacles before on interior walls in other houses, but just dropped wire straight down bay from attic, or pulled through from neighboring room, never had to deal with insulation or marriage walls before.

Thanks

Comments (3)