SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poodlepup_gw

How to refinish a dresser that's meant to be painted

poodlepup
16 years ago

Hi. I am usually on the garden side of things but was delighted to see this forum too!

Ok, here's the situation..

-Dresser 5 drawers hight b-eautiful ornate brass handles.

-Beautiful curves to the fronts of drawers.

-Beautiful claw foot legs

-Nice wood beading details

It had been painted. I stripped it to within an inch of it's life, and got it down to the bare wood with no damage/knife marks etc. (My toothbrush method is awesome).

I wanted to stain it cherry or mahagony, and got going on that, but the worst of my fears was realized. The dresser appears to be constructed of several different kinds of wood which all take the stain differently, some parts barely take the color, others parts take deep color wherever the sanding left a little roughness. I'm guessing this baby was never meant to be anything other than painted with paint. -Or what we call "paint grade" wood.

Ok, but I am not a big fan of painted wood furniture.

Is any attempt to refinish it futile?

I did pull out a small can of the dreaded "polyshades" (Bombay mahogany), and believe this will leave a wood stain "like" color evenly on the wood, especially if I do a few coats. I would 00000 steel wool it at the end so it wasn't excessivly shiny.

Anyone have advice for me? If it's bad news or advice that I am wasting my time,.... bring it on, I can take it.

Thanks so much!

Kate

Comments (4)