SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Oak frame medicine cabinet, plain

I'm trying to find medicine cabinet options. I need a small one with a plain, simple frame in oak. Mission or Shaker would be ideal. My current one is like this but is surface mounted and really sticks out too much from the wall (~ 5 inches with the frame). It's right inside the door when you walk in, and kind of visually blocks your view. I have occasionally whacked myself on the corner of it too. I could refinish this but a section of the wood part is badly dented and buying a new one might be easier.

Ideally I would like to recess this (or preferably, the new one), but am worried about getting into trouble with wiring under the drywall. I have a light switch and outlet just inside the door. The "box" part of this current one is 15 1/2" wide anyway, so I doubt that would fit between standard 16" on center studs.

I used to see cabinets made to be recessed all the time but for some reason don't see them now. (Especially not simple ones without fancy carvings.) I did check the local HD and Menard's; where I bought the present one. The custom kitchen and bath cabinet makers will not take an order for one (too small an order).

I would be happy to buy it unfinished and do that myself. If oak is not available I could paint it. I am not a real woodworker but am handy. I've toyed with the idea of building it myself but have too many unfinished projects as it is.

Any resources?

Comments (2)