SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dinger928

Vaulted Ceilings and recessed Can Lights.

dinger928
17 years ago

Ok, here is the question. I figured who would know beter than some electricians who wire these recessed lights in all the time. Just curious if someone can answer this question for me before we purchase all the lights for the electrician to wire. We currently have a vaulted ceiling with 2x6 construction. There is currently insulation in there (which we do know to leave 3" of space between the fixture on the non IC can). Measuring the actual 2x6 we have 5 1/4". This puts us right at the bottom of the roof sheathing.

Ok, so we went to the local Globe lighting store and come out with a test can. It was the Juno TC1 (G3.1.1) http://www.junolighting.com/productinfo/prod_finder_item2.asp?Fid=F003&SFid=SF032&Cid=C0322&SCid=2. When we install the can in our test section of our ceiling (which is removed as is just like new construction) our can only has about 1/4" space between the top of the can and the sheathing. I then called the people back at Globe and asked if this could in fact touch the sheathing and they said yes, it could. Does anyone in fact know the answer to this? Is it alright for the top of this can to come in contact with the roof sheathing? From our first test can, there is about 1/4" to 1/2" space in there, but by judging how the rest of the house was built (long side note) I cant say for certain that other sections of the vault might indeed make contact with the can.

I know what most of you are thinking though also, why aren't they looking at the ICAT housings. They are just to deep, which irritates me, but what can you do. I feel that these particular housings can work, but wanted to bounce it off the fine people here.

TIA

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!