SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

Mlly - Staying in a Stressful Situation

tamar_422
16 years ago

Hi. I wanted to post this separately because I didn't want this to get lost. Thank you for your kind words. You asked how I have managed to not just throw in the towel.

Honestly, I almost did. When both SSs first came to live with us, my then 18 yo SS#1 brought with him the drug and alcohol problems. The boys were allowed to do whatever they wanted at mom's house - she basically couldn't be bothered to be a parent. We had random people coming into our home, thinking they could smoke marijuana and drink beer because that's what they had done at son's old house. It caused a huge problem for DH and me. I would not tolerate this illegal activity in my home, and DH was not dealing with it. He and SS had had such a poor relationship for the prior few years, he didn't want to rock the boat. Keep in mind, my then 9 yo DD had actually found a marijuana pipe by our pool, and there were tons of beer debris (cans, bottles, cardboard cases) trashed in our woods. It wasn't subtle. At one point, SS#1 said to me, "What are you going to do, kick me out of my dad's house?" It was a horrible time, and to add to that, DH actually said to me, "If you drive SS#1 away, I don't think I could ever forgive you." I said, "Don't worry. It won't get to that point. I will leave you way before then and take our younger son with." (Would that be my sarcastic personality shining through?!?) Anyway, I did tell him that I would not raise my younger children in an environment where illegal activities were allowed, and that if he didn't talk to son and put it stop to it, I would be leaving. He did talk to son, and my relationship with my older stepson has improved tremendously since then. He told me when he came home from college last year that he now totally understood why I did not want that going on with the younger kids.

I did think problems with SS#1 would be the worst of it. I was totally blindsided by the much bigger problems with SS#2.

I stay because I really love my DH. He has been VERY supportive to me during this time. He has said many times in various counseling sessions with son and BioMom and therapist that stepmom was the only adult in son's life who acted like a parent, who provided structure and consequences when bioparents did not/could not/would not. He has not tried to put any blame for any of this on me. Also, he is a very good stepfather to my two DDs, as well as an exceptional father to our young 5 yo son. The fact that we have a child together doesn't really factor into why I have stayed. While I wouldn't want any more of our children to have to live through a family breaking up, I have left a previous marriage because I was too unhappy and didn't think staying would be best for my children. That hasn't been the case in my current situation.

The good still outweighs the bad, and I think because DH has been supportive, I feel like we are on the "same team." It's become clear to me from this board that alot of BioDads, for whatever reason, don't support the stepmoms or demand that the stepkids treat SMs with the same respect they would treat any other adult. When this happens, it becomes a horrible existence for the StepMom. In that way, I have been extremely lucky.

Good luck with your SS. Having traveled this road, I know it's not easy, and you will need your DH to step up if son comes back from BioMoms with problems.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio